computer question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald Pierce

Reaction score
Daughter has an HP laptop that at first, the screen just kind of went crazy (multiple images of the background), and once shut off and restarted, just didn't do anything. Power light is on, as well as all the lights on the keyboard, but it never starts going through the bios. At first I thought hard drive might be bad, but after watching and seeing no processing at all of the bios, I am thinking motherboard. Already got her a new one, but was going to replace the hard drive, but now I am thinking garbage can and just by an enclosure for the hard drive so she can get to her pictures and stuff that was on it.

It's about 18 months old, any advice?

Sounds like it's stuck in 'sleep mode'.....have you tried removing power plug and removing the battery for a few min? Prob not the issue, but worth a try.

Ought to check this out before thrash canning it even if you remove the hard drvie. I've dealt with them a couple times and things went smoothly. Of course piecing it out on eBay is an option as well.

Dang.....I wish I'd have known about that site about a year ago....I've trashed a few laptops during that time.

Dave......thanks for the link.

Cruzrtwdgt,

What model is it? Several HPs were made with a problem that involves it going into sleep mode. Does it have a card reader on the side?

check the power supply, my hp desktop had those symptoms, power supply replaced under warranty and fixed it, unfortunately, its doing it again, nothing but a POS.