Computer question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Owen

Reaction score
Hey, I'm having a problem with my computer. When I am on the internet on certain sites like yahoo music or my step daughter is on myspace, it keeps kicking us off. It comes up with a message of internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. Sorry for the inconvenience. It also asks do I want to send a report to microsoft. It also does the same thing if I am using netscape. This has become a major problem. Does anyone have any answers to this problem?

Ray

Ray,

This could be a number of things, but one of the easiest things to do is deleting temporary files (that can sometimes become corrupted and cause problems):

1. From Internet Explorer, click on Tools, and then Internet Options. On the General tab, find the section called Temporary Internet Files, and click on the Delete Files button. Click OK on the Delete Files dialog box.

2. Next (and this part is optional, but recommended to help performance and reduce the likelihood of obtaining corrupted temp files again), click on the Settings button. In the "Amount of disk space to use:" area, move the slider, or type in a number somewhere between 64 and 80 MB. That's it. close all of the open windows by clicking OK and try your IE out again.

Good luck!

If you go ahead ad submit the error to Microsoft, they will usually immediately send you a response as to what they believe the error is.

My laptop has similar problems and according to Microsoft I have an error in a driver and recommends that I check the drivers on any newly installed equipment? Since I have a laptop there are no newly installed hardware, and it only happens when I am connected to the internet.

I went to my computer manufacturer and updated all the drivers on my PC but it still does it. I always clear my Temp files, run virus/spyware scans, and defrag the hard drive but it continues.

I don't have the problem all the time, but occasionaly I will go to a new site and BAM it shuts down. The good part is that it does not do it often enough to be a serious problem and does not appear to be increasing in frequency. I will go for about 2 weeks without any problem, and them I may get 2 or 3 errors in a few days. Then it goes again for weeks without a problem?

...Rich

The Microsoft response is an automated message from their knowledge database that suggests removing the newly installed hardware (not my problem) or updating the driver (which (I have done). The also offer tips to determine which driver is causing the error, but that did not help identify the failing driver? The message also indicates that the their software engineers are looking into the problem....It sounds like this is probably and Windows-XP Pro error that may accure with some drivers and Microsoft has no idea what the problem is.

I have never had any other failures on my notebook (Averatec 3150P) so I have never had to submit anyother errors to Microsoft. I originally thought it might be a problem with the built in wireless netork card since I usually use the wireless connection, however I have encountered the same error using a wired connection to my router, and directly connected to my DSL modem.

...Rich