computer problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Roberson

Reaction score
Since there is so much knowledge on this site I was hoping someone may know how to fix this problem I am having. The taskbar and desktop flash off and on and make using the computer accessing programs almost impossible without going through the task manager to open files or programs.

It'd probably help if you posted more info like what operating system you're using, what video card, monitor, and driver versions you're currently using. Also under what condition is this happening? All the time or not?

Also, when you say the taskbar and desktop is flashing on and off, are they doing it simultaneously?

I'm afraid I have no expert or educated advise. But my guess is a bad monitor, refresh rate, or video card/driver issue???

Goodluck. I hope somebody else can point you in the right direction.

Follow instrction in the link below to boot your PC into safe mode. If it is still flashing, you can be fairly certain it is a hardware problem (failing monitor, most likely).

If not hardware, you need to start disabling programs, running anti-virus and spyware scans, until you can determine which piece of software is causing the errant behavior.

I had something similar on my home PC. It's XP Pro.

Do a search on google for 'xp desktop disappear' and you'll find several articles and some tips on editing the registry to try and fix. Of course do that at your own risk, you can really hose up a PC with one wrong keystroke in the registry.

My guess would be Malware has attached itself to your SHELL (Explorer.exe)

Just for testing purpose

Open Task Manager and END TASK on Explorer.exe

This should cause your desktop and start bar to close

Then in task manager choose to run a new task and type in Explorer.exe

If there was anything attached to your Shell then it wouldnt be now.

If the flashing stopped then i can tell you how to find what is attached to your Shell and delete it

Latest posts