computer issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I have w/xp with IE8. I keep it updated. I have various spyware, malware and norton internet security virus and firewall protections. I keep them up to date. I run the updates daily when I boot up. Plus they update in the back ground. I have ran many scans with all my protection programs, including MS/esenstials. I have researched this problem and cant find out why.

The problem is. Only when Im on Hotmail. IE runs my processor @ 100%. I have a 2ghz celeron, 4g of ram.

It is only using about 1/3 of available ram and very low paging files cache.

This only happens on Hotmail. Even without extra links open. I can be on any other website and have 4links in seperate windows open without any problem.

I have checked the hotmail boards, nonthing.

It is as if MSN is running something in the background, but what.

Been doing this for several months now. If my computer is a bot on hotmail and spaming. I would think my isp or msn would have notified me by now.

Any Ideas as to why the processor would run @ 100%. But the ram use and paging files stay very low. Only on Hotmail.

Right now Im only using 6 to 13% proccesor, on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Download Mozilla,,,

It is MUCH better than IE.

I had the same issue with both Yahoo mail as well as Hotmail.

Downloaded Mozilla and all is well...

I have to agree with Coastie, the only problem I have with Mozilla is the shockwave plugin, keeps crashing... oh well..... I am getting where I like Google Chrome the best of the 3 browsers.

Eddie,

I don't have any issues with IE8, but I don't have a Yahoo email account.

Based on what you said about all the Anti-virus, Anti-SpyWare, and Anti-AdWare software that you are running, that may be the real problem? Most Anti-Virus, Spyware, and Adware software do play well with other Anti-Virus, Spyware, and Adware software.

I think some of your problem is that they are fighting each other when you go to yahoo (notorious for spam emails and links to spyware, adware, etc. You only need one good program to handle all those threats.

I previously have used, McAfee, Norton, AVG, AdAware, Spymaster, and Symantec Enterprise version from the company I worked for. When I retired I still used Symantec for a while and then switched to MS/Essentials and that works great for me.

I always leave my computer on 24/7 and have MS Automatic Updates activated. So I get all the MS software updates, and run MS Essentials scan every night about 1:00am in the morning when I'm sleeping. That way the scan does not slow down my computer when I want to use it during the day.

I would recommend that you figure out which software works best for you and remove the other software, clear all the deleted files and be sure the registry is clear of all the old crap you dumped. Sometimes it works better if you delete them all and just reinstall the one you want.

It is also possible that Yahoo is having problems with their site, and are not willing to fix it. I just heard that Yahoo is loosing money big time, and is trying to sell the company, but so far nobody seems interested in buying it....Not sure if that's because of the poor economy, or others think Yahoo is a lemon and not worth buying??? Anyway, when companies get strapped for cash, they often lay off people or don't hire replacements and their products and customer service go down hill quickly.

....Rich

JD, it is iexplore.exe, in the task manager doing the hoging of the proccesor.

Richard, I only have one anti virus and firewall, norton 2011 internwt security original was 2009. Windows defender in the background. Malware bytes, spyware blaster and Spybot with the tea timer turned off for manual scans. These have all been on this machine for years. Theproblem is only a few months old. No yahoo acct. it is hotmail that this happens on, only.

Once I get off of the hotmail site all is normal..

I have ran firefox. Dont like it. IE8 is very secure,if you keep updates, and stay off of questionable sites. Norton warns me and even blocks some of them.

Try running IE without any addon's and see if it still takes up 100% cpu.

win-r (run) and put in "iexplore -extoff" (remove the quotes)

just another way to see if it really is IE or something else that is causing the problem.

Eddie,

Sorry, I misread your post...I thought it was a Yahoo email account....Hotmail may not be much better..LOL

I suspect that software that ran for years may have had some updates...Perhaps it's a Windows or IE8 update that may have some issues with Hotmail. If only Hotmail eats up your CPU time, I would suspect that it's a Hotmail site problem that they need to fix and not your computer.

From time to time I have encountered problems with a specific website (mail.com). I contact them and they try to imply it's my computer, and suddenly without any changes, the problem goes away, with no explaination....This may be fixed in a day or two, or sometimes it takes months for them to figure out what's happening.

If Hotmail gets enough complaints they will look into it and put more resources into it.

Often times certain versions of Java are not compatible with some websites...That was always a big issue where I worked and we had a software company that developed some online training that would not work with the newer versions of Java. We had to backup to an older version and about a year later the newest version of Java worked again....So in that case I suspect that was a Java problem.

You probably get notices about every month that there is a new Java Update available. When you get your next version, check and see if Hotmail is still giving you problems, but contact Hotmail about the problem and see if they may already know about the problem and exactly what is causing it. I can't see beating up your computer when it works fine with everyother website accept Hotmail.

If it is IE8, you can easily test this by downloading and installing Mozzilla/Foxfire and if the problem goes away at Hotmail, it may be some incompatibility between IE8 and Hotmail that was introduced by one of MS updates. You don't need to unistall IE8, just leave it there and let it get updated, and periodically try it to see if someone has fixed the problem.

Also, you mentioned that you used MS/Essentials and the earlier version called Windows Defender? If you have MS Essentials installed and there is any residue from the old Windows Defender, that can eat up your computer CPU time...big time. I had a lady friend who attempted to update Windows Defender with MS Essentials and got her computer all F'd up. It took me about 3 hours to get her computer running right again..:angry:

...Rich

Richard,

I forgot I downloaded but never installed MS essentials.

As for MS programs. I have defender standalone, MS Emergenncy support response tool, MS baseline securuty anylyzer.

I realy think the problem is with MSN hotmail site.

They used to have a way to contact support. They changed it to a message board, to post a complaint. From what I have seen. They leave it up to other users to answer your question. I posted the complaint. No one steped in with an answer. I cant find the same complaint in the board either.

I use hotmail for mesage boards like myst and buying and others of the sort. I have had it for so many years(18yrs). If I change it. It would be a nightmare changing all the contacts that have it. Many are not in the my addy book. Hotmail is my sign in addy at sooo' many accounts.

I have thought of someday dealing with it, and setting up another addy, with comcast my ISP. But Im thinking of dropping them at the first of the year. Right now because of a service complaint, 4 months ago. Comcast made me an offer that cut my rate in half till the first of the year.

Drop hotmail all together, is what I need. Set up another free web mail.

Any sujestions of who is the best.

Eddie,

You might want to update from Windows Defender to MS Essentials. I switched well over a year ago because there were not more updates for Defender...Your only option was to swtich to MS Essentials. Your Defender may still run find, but it is not getting updated Spyware and Adware definitions, so it's not catching the new stuff.

Remember I posted a few weeks ago that while I was on MySportTrac.com my MS Essentials indicated that it had just detected a threat....I suspect it was a new kind of Adware that I had just picked up because my computer is on 24/7 and connected to the internet to download MS Essentials updates and scan my computer every day at about 1:00am. So if it was there earlier, MS Essential would have caught it earlier.

I also think the problem is with the Hotmail site. They may have not tested or installed some update for Windows or IE8...You know that MS is updating their software every week on Tuesday nights because of bugs and security issues that keep popping up. That's why I always leave my computer on and connected to the Internet to get all the updates and patches. I even leave my little Acer Netbook on and connected wirelessly 24/7 to always keep it up to date.

If I have a complaint about my Mail.com account I send them an email but I have to select a subject from their limited list of options??? They reply with a canned message of the most common problems, but that rarely solves my problem...So I have to write back again and explain the problem again, and why their canned solutions don't work for my issue. Their typical response is that they cannot duplicate the issue...Then 2 weeks later the problem miraculously fixes itsself...:grin: ...probably after a few thousand complaints :grin:

...Rich

Richard,

The standalone defender still updates. I have my settings set to notify me of all windows updates. I get at least 2 to 3 a week for defender. Also the 3rd tuesday and special updates for xp..

I recently bought an Acer Aspire w/7, IE9. IE9 wont run on xp. Need to set it up. I have a 3 machine copy of norton 2011 internet security. Only using 2 certs now. Me and my brother. I will use the 3rd on the acer w/7 machine. Norton has been rated #1 for three years. Bought the forst copy in 2009. They have upraded me for free twice. It wont suprise me when I use the 3rd cert, they dowmload me the 2012 version. Every year I just buy a new subscription, $49. Brother and I split the cost. When norton falls from grace. I will go back to free protection.

My intention is to keep this xp machine updated as a backup machine. I keep my documents, favorites and other files backed up on a external drive.

I have Win 7 with MS Security only. Absolutely no problems . If you have 2 or 3 AV programs running real time protection for Internet, you could create a lot of problems but would definitely be using a lot of Processor.

Eddie,

I know that over a year ago, I went to download a copy of Defender for a friends computer and it did not exist...It directed you to download MS Essentials. They may still be offering updates to the Spyware/Adware file definitions, but you cannot download an updated version of the Defender software. Perhaps if Defender is still on your PC, MS may not be sending you an update to Windows or IE8 because it is incompatible with Defender??

But my real concern was that if you had installed and ran all these other Anvi-Virus, Spyware,and Adware software that there may be residue still on your computer even if you "Unistalled" them. As I said before, many of these Anti virus, spyware, and adware programs do not play well together if there is any presents of other similar software, and may of these free versions do not completely uninstall everything. They often leave files and registry entrys that cause problems with the currently active software. My point is that you have to be sure that every trace of these old prograns are gone or you can get some really strange behavior from you computer.

As for Norton...Good software? Yes, but the biggest complaint has always been that it is very intrusive on the CPU time even when it is not doing a scan???

In your case, I think the issue is with Hotmail If your computer is up to date, there may be a glitch in some feature/function used at the Hotmail site that may just be a compatibility issue.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

I think the issue is hotmail and IE8.

As for Norton...Good software? Yes, but the biggest complaint has always been that it is very intrusive on the CPU time even when it is not doing a scan???

Not any more. I agree it used to be a resource hog and slow to scan. The 2010 and 2011 version has improoved 1000%. And highly recomended.

I never have had any other realtime anti-virus except norton internet security. Also plays well with real time defender an xp. Norton Came with the computer. All I did was upgrade the trial. Symantec has been updating the version for free since I bought the 3 computer version.

The other securities are not real time. Manual Scans only.

They may still be offering updates to the Spyware/Adware file definitions, but you cannot download an updated version of the Defender software. Perhaps if Defender is still on your PC, MS may not be sending you an update to Windows or IE8 because it is incompatible with Defender??

The standalone defender definitly still updates, versions and definitions. I have definitly been getting all the IE8 updates. I get email from MS tech about the next udates. I compare that to the updates when they are ready on tuesdays and sometimes special days.

If you have W/7. You should upgrade to IE9. I read good things, that its security is better than IE8. It wont run on xp though.

I have the standalone installer package for Defender. It is the last version before esentials came out. It still updates versions and definitions.

I can email it to you if you want? It is 5mb in size. It will play well with 3rd party anti-virus on xp. I dont know about W/7. I will have to try it. When I get time to set up my new lap top.

Let me know.

Eddie,

I am using Windows XP Profession with IE8. I also use MS Essentials so I don't have any need for Defender.

Almost 2 years ago, I was cleaning up a friends computer and tried to download a copy of Defender. That's when I got the message on Microsoft.com that I needed to switch to MS Essentials? Later I noticed that my Defender was not updating, and had not updated in several weeks. When I tried a manual update, I again got the message to switch to MS Essentials...so I did.

Part of the reason I switched to AVG and then to Defender and later to MS Essentials is that Norton/Symantec were good at virus detection but would eat up a lot of CPU time, and they were fairly weak on detecting SpyWare and AdWare.

Also, the scans seem to always start at the most inconvenient times....Of course part of that was the Symantic Enterprise version that we ran at work. Our network would check that you had all the latest updates when you logged on, and if you did not have the latest virus signature files it would start scanning immediately and you could just forget about doing anything with your computer until the scan finished. In addition, the scan would often start at random, unscheduled times. The last version of Symantec I had prior to my retirement seemed to work much better...but I needed to take it off my home PC's when I left the company to retire.

I am currently running only MS Essentials, and I keep my PC's running and connected to the network 24/7,./..mostly because I have a MagicJack phone device and it only works if the PC is on. The newer MagicJack Pro does not require a computer and simply plugs into your router (It was scheduled for release in July, but that has not happened yet) :cry:

As long as all your software is playing well together, then there is no issue with your PC. I just wanted to make you aware of some issues I have encountered with having multiple Anti-virus, spyware or adware software installed.

Again, It's more likely an issue with Hotmail and not any problem with your PC.

...Rich

Latest posts