Computer Gurus...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
I have recently turned my connection into a wireless connection so my daughters laptop can connect to our internet up in her room. This was done back after Christmas and all seemed fine. The main connection was through my Desktop downstairs and always showed up on there as a added connection. Now that icon is gone. It used to show up in my lower toolbar and also on my "Show Connections" page. Not anymore. Where did it go and how do I get it back? I can still connect to the internet and get my E-Mail (obviously since I'm posting it from this computer). Here computer still shows her computer going through the connection I set up for the house. I just like to know when I'm connected and that I'm "for sure" using that connection. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Stonemiser:

A few questions:

1) When you say you "recently turned my connection into a wireless connection", are you trying to say that you recently "turned on" or "configured" the wireless support of your wireless broadband router?

2) When you say "The main connection was through my Desktop downstairs and always showed up on there as a added connection", what do you mean? The main connection from what to what? From the desktop to the internet? From your daughter's laptop to the desktop then to the internet? Or, are you saying your that your desktop downstairs has a main connection that is wired to the router, and had an added wireless connection to the internet as well?

3) When you say "Here computer still shows her computer going through the connection I set up for the house.", which connection are you talking about? The wired connection, or the wireless connection?

4) Lastly when you say: "I just like to know when I'm connected and that I'm "for sure" using that connection?".....what do you mean by "that" connection...wireless, wired?

As for some helpful diagnostic info:

Go to a command line on either desktop or laptop, and run the command:

ipconfig

This will return all the network (wired or wireless) adapters on your computer and their connection status.

Cut/paste and post (or email me) the output if you need help understanding it.

TJR

One, I hooked up a wireless router in between my PC and my internet modem from Verizon and used the CD and have everything going.

Two, the connection then showed up on the "Show all connections" page as a Internet Gateway. It was set up as the main portal. So it went from my PC, to the Gateway, to the Verizon modem, to the internet. My daughters computer shows that it is connected through this portal. From her laptop (wirelessly), to the gateway (wireless modem), to the Verizon modem, to the internet.

Three, the connection used to show up on my lower toolbar as two little computer screens that would light up the screens as it was sending/receiving stuff. That is gone, so is the "Internet Gateway icons on my "Show Connections page.

Stonemeiser,

go to Control panel then network connections. Highlight each connection and then choose

"change settings for this connection'. Then check the 'Show icon...'

That should restore the connection icon.

Rich

Rich, the problem is, the icon for this particular connection isn't there anymore. The only ones there are the 1394 and the local area. I know I can get these to show up, but I always just had the Gateway one show up. Just wondering why it would have disappeared.

Stone,

First, does your desktop have a wireless card?

Second, it sounds like the "Internet Gateway" network connection configuration has somehow been removed from your desktop system. You could Google a bit to figure out how to manually add it to your desktop computer (you will need to know ipaddress of the device, etc), or you might simply want to re-run the CD that came with the wireless access point, again, to try to get it back.

TJR

Unless I'm mistaken, when you added in the router it is now acting as the gateway.

(This may not be the correct terminology but..)

Originally your computer logged into the dsl network with a user name as password. Now the router is doing that for you. So the gateway icon is no longer on your computer because it is no longer acting as the gateway.

No TJR, my Desktop is direct wired through the Ethernet cable to the Router, then to the Verizon Modem. I'm thinking I may just have to use the CD again. It's such a pain.

JD, you are correct with your thinking. Before I just ran through the Verizon Modem and had it set to remember my password and such so it automatically connected when the computer was turned on.(my computer gets turned off when not in use) Now it goes through the Wireless Router and it automatically logs into my Verizon Modem. The only reason I have the router is for the laptop. It's the Wireless Routers Icon that is missing now. If it is gone, what exactly am I going through? My Verizon Modem Icon says it is disconnected, but I can still get onto the internet. My 1393 and Local Connections says Connected. When I turn on my daughter's computer it says it is still using the port I set up. (says the name I assigned to the port)

UPnP is quirky at best I've found, that is what shows devices on your network (like your router)

There is no need for an icon because it can always be accessed through the IP address of the device (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 typically)

Your computer is dumb, it just has a network connection and that is all it cares about, the router is handling all the real work for internet and data movement now.

All these extra software monitoring programs are a waste. They just eat up system resources and serve no real purpose.

Latest posts