Computer Gurus?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently cleaned out my box of old parts. I just drilled a couple of holes in each and dropped them at the county dump computer recycling location. They have a place for computers and parts. Might check there in your area.

I actually don't think there would be a problem just throwing them away (after a hole or two drilled). I can think of worse that has gone in the trash. I know ours has a computer center because they try and keep full computers and monitors out of the dump.

Are you concerned about rendering them completely unreadable? If not, just turn them in at the nearest recycling joint that takes 'puter parts.

If you do want to make them unreadable: Got a wire wheel/bench grinder in your shop?

Open the hard drive cases, pull out the actual disks, and run 'em across the wire wheel/grinding stone (both sides) until the whole surface is completely scored. That'll render it completely unreadable.

If you don't have a bench grinder, you can do the same thing with a drill and grinding stone or wire wheel attachment.

That's how we used to destroy them at my last USN command.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did pretty much the same thing TT did.

Kept the magnets for the frig. Those magnets are so stinkin' strong, that I can barely get 'em off the door!

I decommissioned a bunch at work by opening the case, removing the platters and bending them in half. If you have a spare computer, wipe the drives using DBAN.

you can either drill a whole through them or hit it with a hammer enough to dent the casing as this would prevent the platters from spinning or damaging them altogether

Easiest way is to find someone with a degausser. It is a powerful electromagnet which will electronically destroy the data.

CDs/DVDs can be destroyed in a few seconds inside a microwave oven. It takes just a second, and you will see a flash of light and the disc insides are toast. Also,some shredders will accept these. Mine has a special slot to put them in.

Latest posts