Composite Material in the Bed of an ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
07 ST...

I want to be able to screw some things into the sides of the bed. Does anyone know how it's built behind the plastic bed liner?

I want to hang things from the sides and I need to know what limits I have.

Pictures would be great!

It is thin and flimsy...

Your best bet may be to remove the wheel well plastic and back up the bolts with washers..

Todd Z

Is there any airspace between the composite bed/liner and the metal on the sides?

I was thinking of using some ot the hardware designed for bolting things to drywall. They expand on the other side of the drywall to form a washer-like retainer...I'm not thinking about the ones that simply expand into the drywall material. There are a variety of the ones that open up on the backside of the drywall using synthetic "butterfly" components or metal toggles.

I'm looking for a way to mount a fire extinguisher and a jerry can holder.

Assuming there's some air space, you can do what I did when mounting a GPS to my console--drill through the bed, but on the opposite side, use a piece of plywood as a backing. Bolt through the bed and wood. This will spread out the stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is room behind the bed, I think a few inches at least. The bedsides aren't metal either though, its all composite except for the tailgate.

Eltee, That would work, Get the ones that stay in place when you remove the screw... they have plastic zip strips that you install...

ONLY thing is use anti size OR get stainless steel..

Todd Z

Latest posts