Complete Transmission Overhaul

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Jones

Reaction score
My 2008 Gen2 V6 Limited is currently having it's tranny completely upgraded and rebuilt. It was slamming hard into reverse, and was starting to hesitate/slow-shift 2 to 3 and 4 to 5. It only has 58K miles even though it's only 7 years old, but I figured if I was going to have to open it up for one repair, I might as well go ahead and get every upgrade.

I was going to just do the fix that replaces the pistons, but I'm getting a deal on the repair and upgrades. Prices in my area ranged from $2100 to $2900 and I'm getting the repair done for around $1800K because an apprentise is performing the work.

In years past, I would have just said forget it and traded it in on a new one, but since Ford seems to have forgotten those of us who love mid-sized trucks with flawed transmission designs, I figured it's best just to do the repair and ride for another 100K+ miles.

I won't know which until I get it back, but my understanding is that it's Ford 'improvements' to their original design. I'm not getting anything aftermarket. No hauling, off-roading, or even spirited driving here. lol

The truck is almost 7 years old and I'm only averaging 8.5K miles a year as a daily driver. I just want it to do what I need it to everyday, with an occasional load of wood or groceries from time to time.

You are going with an apprentice for 1800 dollars or you can get it professionally done for 2100 dollars?

If it were me I would spend the extra 300 dollars to have it done right.

" We're going to upgrade your transmission but we'll tell you about it after we do it" Sketchy to me.....

I'm driving this truck 5 years now and I would say this is one of the smoothest transmissions I've driven. I don't feel it needs any upgrades aside from the software adjustment.

Best of Luck

I would not care if a monkey rebuilt the transmission...What is important is what kind of warranty are they giving you? and does the warranty vary based on the apprentice or profession does the work?

Many years ago I had a transmission rebuilt. It was slipping really bad during shifts, but it drove fine once got into gear. They shop had my transmission for about a week. I got it back and the slipping was gone...:grin: 2 days after I got it back, the transmission broke and I had to have the car towed back to the Tranny repair shop...:cry:

When I went to pickup the car after the second rebuild, the shop told me that the transmission had a broken input shaft that was not replaced during the first rebuild because it was fine, however they would not charge me, However, I would still have to pay for the removal and installation of the transmission???

After a big fight they gave me my car back without paying the bogus charge after showing them that there was no mention of a Remove/Install charge in the warranty and that was never shown as a separate charge on the first bill.

Bottom line, you should be sure about the warranty of their work and be sure in includes ALL parts and labor. Sometimes if the tranny breaks during the warranty, they will claim that the part that failed after the rebuild was not replaced during the first rebuild, so you will be charged for the cost of the part. If it was a rebuild, they should examine and replace every part that is even borderline suspicious.

...Rich

bugsiegel, it wasn't sketchy at all. When I picked the truck up on Friday, he laid it all out as to what was done. I got the same warranty as any other rebuild which was 1Yr/Unlimited miles. I think it boiled down to what would be available to be taught without costs to me and that would be instructional for the apprentice--basically how they do street mods. I got what they were wanting to do and had no problem with it.

The nice thing about the apprentice rebuild is that labor was pretty much set no matter how many man-hours went into it. The shop I used specialized in Mustang street mods and used the TCI? Ford 5R55S Master Overhaul Kit at the cost of the standard kit (I didn't ask for it, but it was an instructional thing with no real added cost for me).

A new (standard) converter was installed. A shift correction/improvement kit was installed (again, instructional and at no additional cost) that is supposed to improve low temp lubrication and overall flow to the cooler.

New solenoid block, overdrive and intermediate drive servo sleeves, and new servo pistons, and new drum bands were also installed. Filter was standard and I decided not to go with the drain plug (actually I forgot to mention that I wanted one) and the fluid refill was a 50/50 Amsoil and MERCON V mix. (He said something about not liking to go with 100% Amsoil until after the first filter change)

All in all, I got more than my money's worth in parts and labor for $2,200 (including my rental car) with permission to use pics of my Trac's rebuild and my satisfaction statements in future advertisements and my willingness to allow the shop to 'teach' with my rebuild.

My Trac drives like a dream. I didn't realize how bad it had actually gotten. I don't know that the upgrades they did will benefit me since I'm not a 'spirited' driver, but I'm glad they are in place. And my guess is that the upgrades are standard for street mods.

Now, please don't ask for specifics or question the particulars. I'm not a transmission expert and barely understand what I transferred here from the receipt. I'm just glad to have my Trac back.

Last edited by a moderator:
and the fluid refill was a 50/50 Amsoil and MERCON V mix. (He said something about not liking to go with 100% Amsoil until after the first filter change)

Huh!!

That is strange. IMO, one or the other. Preferably motorcraft.......but Im not that familiar with the 6 speed.

Some years ago my B-inlaw had his 5r55e flushed and replaced with 100% syn. It didnt work out. After about 1200miles. A reflush and fill with motorcraft. Not any problems afterward.

I have my own story about 100% syn mix with motorcraft merc 5. Lets just say shame on me for believing the wrong person. Several pan dumps later and motorcraft. I beleive I saved my trans.....:banghead:

Eddie, I'm not going to argue with someone who does this every day. I asked for Amsoil and he said he didn't like using it on any of the 5R55/N/S/W (5 speed) family of transmissions on a new rebuild. What follows is the Cliffs Notes of our conversation.

Lemar: I'd like you to use Amsoil when you refill.

Danny: I'll use it if that's what you want, but I can't warranty the job if I do.

Lemar: Why not? It's good fluid. I've been using it for over 20 years. The only reason it's not in this tranny already is because of the issues it's having.

Danny: I track who's parts I use and how many of my rebuilds come back for rework. I try to keep that number below 2%. When I use Amsoil, a lot of my Ford trannies come back. About a quarter actually. But a lot of folks want to use it. Now when I use a 50/50 mix of Amsoil with the MERCON V in the 5R55N/S/W I have ZERO comebacks and I've been doing that since '07 or 08 when we started having issues with Mustang rebuilds and Amsoil. We can do that. I'll warranty a 50/50 mix. When you change the filter in 30 to 50K miles, you can add 100% no problem.

Lemar: That doesn't make any sense to me. If a fluid meets the specs, it doesn't matter who it comes from. But, you're the expert. You don't want to ever see me again on this transmission, and I don't ever want to see you again, so do what you gotta do.

I can scratch my head all day long on why it works, or why he isn't addressing the issue with Amsoil, but I can't question what he's willing to warrantee. I'll pump it all out next year, drop and clean the pan, install the drain plug and put in 100% Amsoil.

Latest posts