College question of the week. Why was it called the Cold War?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Most of us know what the Cold War was/is, but, why was it called the Cold War?

My instructor has included the following;

As you think about your response to this question, think about the themes of industrialization, nationalism, and colonialism as they relate to the modern world.

This will be the foundation for my work this week, like in the past, thought getting input from a wide source would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say because how it was played. Each side pretended that they could care less about the other, but always kept them first in thier sights.

Tom

are you talking about the Pennsylvania cold war?? the battle between the Philadelphia Flyers and the pittsburg penguins. its the cold war cause hockey is played on ice!

i couldn't resist since its hockey play-off time..

Go Red Wings!

troy

Is the question, Why was it called the "Cold" War? Or is it, why was it called the Cold "War"? Because both halves of the name can lead to some discussions...

Bill, here is how it was presented to me...

In Week 2 we are examining the background of the "Cold War" after the end of World War II and how Europe and the world were divided by the two superpowers. But the term "Cold War" is never truly defined or explained in the text. We know what the Cold War was, but WHY do you think it was called the "Cold" War? Was it even a "war"?

I always thought it was an indication that it was not a shooting war. Think of a rifle range, when you're shooting it's a hot range, when you are not it is a cold range. Same applies to bombing ranges. When you are not bombing it is a cold range.

someone may have already said this but im not reading everyone's posts, according to my AP American teacher and the 11th grade when i had this same topic it is called the Cold war due to lack of advancement in
industrialization, nationalism, and colonialism as they relate to the modern world.

there was no growth, the countries just went cold

It was before global warming. :rolleyes:

Actually I kind of looked at it like Caymen said. Each country gave the other one the cold shoulder.

Cold War because it was not fought with our boots on the ground vs. their boots on the ground.

It WAS fought through politics, arms buildups, and proxies.

there was no growth, the countries just went cold

just throwin this into the mix but...

We EXPLODED Technologically. NASA and the race to space with the Russians... not the nuclear stock piling that ensued.

I'd say it was "Cold" for the reasons stated above, and "War" because of the tendancy of all people to jump on the bandwagon of easy monikers. Just like every controversy these days gets a "-gate" name ("Nannygate", "Nipplegate", etc.) after Watergate, and the terms "9/11" and "Ground Zero" are tied to the 2001 terrorist attacks, the Cold War was called a "War" because it was easy for people (especially Americans) to grasp and add to their vocabulary.

Latest posts