Cold Air

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana Lynds

Reaction score
Is there anything that I can do other than using the A/C PRO to get colder air. Compressor is going on and off just not getting real cold air. I have a 2003 2wd

with 90,000 miles. Thanks for the help....

Scooter,

I always recommend that if you are low on refrigerant, AC not cooling, and the compressor is going off and on, you probably have a leak. I also do not recommend that you use a cheap recharging kit...that can do more harm than good.

If refrigerant leaked out, air leaked in, and that means there is moisture in your AC system. Also, you not only lost refrigerant, you also lost compressor oil.

The key to having a professional AC guy work on your system is that he will locate the leak, remove all the remaining refrigerant, compressor oil, repair the leak, vacuum the system of all contaminants, and recharge your system with proper amount of refrigerant and compressor oil

Those quick refrigerant recharge kits do not replace the compressor oil and do not remove any contaminates like moisture in your AC system. Moisture in the AC can create Ice and block the Orifice valve or H-valve and lead to more damage. The lack of compressor oil can destroy the compressor and take out other components of the AC system including the Evaporator and Condenser cores...(very expensive labor costs)

Your $20 fix can end up costing you thousands of $$$ because the job was not done right.

....Rich

Thanks for the advice. Took it by Firestone and they couldn't find any leaks and recharged system and works fine now. They said to return in 2 weeks and they

will check for leaks again for free. Todays charge was $ 204.00 for anyone who

thinks there's is acting similar.. Thanks

scooter,

They probably put a luminescent dye into your AC system when they charged it....that will help them locate the leak when you return in 2 weeks.

...Rich

Latest posts