Cold air intakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Wooten

Reaction score
Since the Sport Tracs have the best rating for gas mileage my question is....Do they work & are they worth the money? I have the 6 banger in mine. Thanks Woot....

I had a K&N intake on my '10 STA, other than a louder intake noise I noticed no difference. I reinstalled the OEM intake. Actually the stock intake on the Gen2s is pretty good.

If you have a 07-10 V6 there isn't a CAI out there. I have looked and asked before and most people say to just add a high flow filter replacement like a K&N or AFE.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the air intake on the 4.0 is the restriction in the MAP/MAF section of air pipe. I wonder if you could do a dual bypass so there's a equal draw on the stock side & bypass, then add a MAP/MAF Sensor Enhancer? Just a thought......

I put a K&N Intake on my 07 V8 4X4 and it looked great. It had a very loud intake noise and the gas mileage actually got worse. I removed it and sold it after a few months. I like the no noise stock intake better other than to cool looks of the K&N under the hood. The best upgrade for gas mileage for my ST was the Todd Z modded throttle body. Best dollars I spent on my truck....IMO!

The stock cai is already good and not very restrictive. I can say that the k&n replacement filter is worth buying.

Thing to remember is that the engine displacement isn't all that big. We don't need to flow big block Chevy amounts of air. The stock intake is already a cold air intake. The cheaper aftermarket intakes are really a hot air intake. On a Gen 1 Trac just pull the silencer out of the airbox, get a K&N replacement filter, and call it good. On a Gen 2 Trac ('07-'10) there isn't a silencer so just use a K&N replacement. I've owned both plus a 4.0 Ranger and never really saw a difference in performance or mpg with the K&N. Best bang for the buck is a lower restriction cat-back exhaust, I did pick up 3 mpg on the highway with that.

Latest posts