coil & wires ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the screamin' demon coil for my 01 ST, I just put new plug wires on in 08 or 09, do I really need the live wire plug wires too? I'm thinking no but what's your opinion?

No.

The wires are cool, I confess, but they don't make the ST into some unleashed beast of performance...for that matter, neither does the coil, but I'd buy it again.

The LiveWires don't fit into the wire holders hooked onto the engine block, which I didn't think would be a problem, but you have to route them correctly or else they'll rub away on parts of the engine over time, which isn't cool. I've got some serious rub marks on mine :(

I installed the SD Coil Pack and Livewires about two years ago. I found the Livewires to be very well made, and while they didn't fit the OEM wire holders, I just zip-tied them to keep them from rubbing on any other engine parts that might cause excess wear from rubbing.

As for the coil pack, it went bad after about a year. Zabteck was able to get Performance Distributors to replace it under warranty. However, the second coil pack went bad just last December after about another year of use. At that point, I decided I was done with the Screamin' Demon coil pack and went back to the OEM coil pack.

Ok, I know there's alot more members running these parts so what you all of you think. I'm looking to purchase the SD Coil Pack and the Live Wires soon and would appreciate any more reviews, input, comments. Thanks guys and gals.

smart move. The OEM coil pack you have, will support 500+ H.P, Good quality wires are nothing more than wires, the oems are good quality wires.

Your money tho.:grin:

OK, so if the SD coil pack goes south in about a year(according to some people's experience) then my next question is why do people keep buying them?

FORD 6-TOWER COIL-HORIZONTAL

10-15% more energy than the OEM coils

These are direct plug replacement for OEM coils

1989-04 Ford EDIS 6 cylinder horizontal primary connection. These coils feature advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized silicone magnetic steel cores, along with optimized winding, resistance and turns ratios to delivery 10-15% more energy than the OEM coils. Specialized high temperature epoxy resists shock and vibration, while increasing thermal conductivity.These are direct plug replacement for OEM coils. They feature bodies and/or secondary towers molded in ACCEL yellow and feature brass secondary contacts (except direct fire coil on plug applications).

Part Number: 140035

Click on "Where to Buy" on their home page. I thought that I bought it from Rockauto, but I do not see it there now. I could have got it from Summit Racing though.

Thanks for the links Rodger, Train, I apprecite the heads up on the parts listings. I'm not working right now and my wife keeps asking me how much this tune up is going to cost, now I can give her some estimates for parts. :supercool::banana:

Latest posts