Code 0401, Not Sensor?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
Noted slight miss yesterday leaving work and sure enough CEL came on. Autozone gives me the 0401 code and I've got the DPFE sensor on order with arrival today. Because of the slight missing however does this diminish the chance of it being the sensor itself?

Nope. Read the TSB. That will tell you everything you ever want to know about the symptoms of a bad DPFE sensor.

Tom

Tom, where can I access that TSB? I have replaced the same part but it did not stop the CEL from reappearing! Can you give me the link or whatever to the TSB?

Well, I guess the diagnosis wasn't correct. CEL back on today at lunch. Still has a slight lurch in it when accelerating. Tubes and plug on DPFE sensor still attached.

Had Auto Zone recheck the code and surprise, it was the same. He reset the light and off I went. Came back on on the way home. Got home, took off the new one, ran pipe cleaners down each tube to the larger tube (don't have a clue what it goes to) and reattached the original (since code came on with each sensor I might as well put the original back in I figure). Ran vehicle around neighborhood and it isn't back on, yet. I guess the only thing left is the EGR valve itself, which I presume is easy to change out since it sits there in front. Hoses as best I can tell from the EGR are ok.

Back on again. Applied hose to fitting on top of EGR, covered tube opening and engine died so it apparently isn't the EGR valve itself? Other options?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2001 sport trac. I changed the EGR valve, reset the computer and the cel came back on several hours later. I also get engine sputtering after 3rpms. I keep dumping engine cleaner into the tank but still no good. Let me know when you have success. Please.

Latest posts