"Clunk" noise/feel after stopping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever stopping hard enough, immediately after stopping I hear/feel a "clunk", and it seems like it's pushing forward. If I'm very easy on the brakes, I don't feel/hear it. I haven't been braking too hard, but it happens whenever I brake hard enough to feel my momentum transfer backward after stopping. Pads are new and rotors are in good shape. The only thing I could think of was gas splashing around, but it seems to happen too fast for that, and I've never felt gas move in a vehicle before. The truck is new to me, and I don't know if this is something I should be concerned about. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

My 96 Explorer use to do something similar to that and it turned out to be the torque converter locking up. Hopefully that isn't your issue. :huh:

I've also found some cases of late 90's explorers having a similar problem. I'm not sure how similar an '04 sport trac would be, but the majority seemed to be fixed by lubricating the slip-yoke on the driveshafts and/or replacing the shocks...lubing the slip yoke is cheap, and I planned on swapping the shocks/swaybar anyway thanks to the numerous recommendations I've seen here. The theory being is that the rear stock shocks (with 45k) are extending too far under semi-hard braking causing a bit of binding.

I'll report after I try those two things, in case anyone else is seeing this, but new tires are first on the agenda.

My 04 ST does this every once in a while when stopping. Was wondering if you ever found out what was causing it.

Latest posts