clockspring question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf Wilder

Reaction score
Hey Guys..

I have a couple of questions about a clockspring on a 01 Sport Trac..

If it goes bad..is it possible that the horn and cruise control will still work?

How bad is it to change?

After almost 2 weeks now of being told that the clockspring didnt come in today..I started digging up info on it..everything I find says that the cruise and horn go out with the clockspring..mine work fine..both horn and cruise control..

Any info you have will be appreciated..

Ok let me start at the top..

I bought this 01 a month ago...found all kinds of deceptive problems...after taking it for new tires and front end alignment..

The tech said certain things had been loosened under the front end and lubed to avoid squeaking noises..he tightened everything back up but couldnt do the alignment as all 4 ball joints were shot..sure as anything..it went to squeaking...so I booked it in to have the front end fixed and headed home..

On the way I started getting chimes..5 cycles..5 chimes per cycle..but no warning lights..

When i got home I switched the key off and then back to the On position...no warning lights even lit up then..so I pulled the cluster to find that the bulbs had been removed..

I took the seatbelt bulb out and placed in each hole...the AirBag system and the ABS system had issues..lit up like a Christmas tree..

Took it back to the dealer and they agreed that it wasnt right and agreed to fix it all...they fixed everything except the AirBag issue...and said it was a clockspring and have told me now on 2 weeks that it hasnt come in yet...

My wife just returned the Supercrew demo they had us driving and picked up the Trac..so I havent seen it yet but she called and told me that the AirBag light is lit all the time now..The wife doesnt like the SuperCrew so I told her to just pick ours back up and we would get it fixed elsewhere..

They said they would drop off the clockspring when it came in...

After 2 weeks without my Trac..I'm having DT's...and I dont even drink...

You bought this at a dealer?

1st off, the clockspring links the horn, cruise and air bag wiring in the wheel to the wiring in the column. Think of it as an electrical swivel, as in hydraulic swivel. Never seen it but I suppose it's possible for one of the contacts to be bad.

The chimes indicate the air bag bulb is burned out, which you know already. Since your wife picked it up and said the bag light is lit constantly you're at a starting place. When it's first started, before the light stays on constantly, it will blink a code( LFC=lamp flash code). Count the blinks and report back.

If it came from a dealer I'd make them fix it though. I don't think it's even legal for them to release a vehicle, to a non-dealer, with SRS problems. They knew there were problems when the indicators didn't prove out when the ign. switch was turned on!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is flashing a 3-2 code...I just took it to town and filled it up..everything seems in order except for the AirBag light and they didnt replace the seatbelt light that I put in the Airbag slot..

That however is petty..I just want to fix my Trac so the wife can go back to loving me again..

My lawyer has already filled me in on the legalities of it all..but I aint going that route...I dont have the time or patience for all of that..

Getting the Trac back up to standards is enough for us..

Thanks I appreciate your help..

LFC 32/DTC B1932 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High

Normal Operation

The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the resistance for the driver air bag ignitor by measuring the resistance between pins 3 and 4. If the RCM detects high resistance between these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1932 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 32 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

Driver air bag high resistance can be caused by:

a poor connection or corrosion in the driver air bag module circuits or the clockspring.

an open circuit or high resistance in the clockspring windings.

an open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness.

an open circuit or high resistance in the driver air bag module.

a faulted RCM.

Test procedures are too much to post here. I can send them to you if you're up to working on the SRS system.

If it wouldnt be too much trouble...I'd really appreciate that..

[email protected]

Yeah I pulled the dash in my F 150 all the time..so I'm no stranger to handling airbags..

I have the CD on the F 150 just havent ordered the one to the Trac yet..

I'm old school...I grew up in a '69 Charger 426 Hemi with dual quads..but these newer vehicles should come with a CD for people like me..

Thanks a Million ncranchero...

I'd be lost without you guys..:D

I'm old school...I grew up in a '69 Charger 426 Hemi with dual quads..

You must be from my century!:D

It's on its way to you.

You must be from my century

Ditto, Mine too.

Did the dealer look at the wiring harness in the steering column? Early tracs had problems with the harness being too short. When you tilt the wheel it would unplug the harness or break wires off. I think there is a repair in projects section, with pics'.

Thanks my friend..I'll give it the once over when I get back in tonight...I cant thank you enough..

Eddie I havent had it back long enough to check what all they have or havent done..she picked it up last night and will be gone in it again before daylight...but I will check that harness out for sure..thanks..

I couldnt find it in the projects section..but I am only on my first coffee and it just is past 4am..:D

Thanks for everything Guys !!!!

Latest posts