Clicking sound below dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
2004 Sport Trac XLT (Gen 1?), 110K mi. Just started hearing this scary sound today, sounds quite like the turn signal indicator, but it's totally intermittent, no rate or rhythm consistency like a turn signal has. I can't produce it at any specific speed, etc. In fact, one time today when I heard it, I pulled over, shut down the vehicle, removed the ignition key, opened the door (so everything is shut down) and it was still making noise. So whatever it is, just needs battery power (it sounds electrical). I've searched posts on this site but found nothing which anyone's had which continued after shutting down the vehicle. Thanks much!

Giving you any feedback about a noise coming from your truck somewhere can just bring up a crapshoot of guesses.

Get yourself a 4 foot piece of 3/8" rubber hose and use it as a stethoscope while combing various locations beneath the dashboard for starters, trying to better pinpoint where it's coming from. If there's no pronounced sound under there, then you know that you'll need to expand your search to the exterior. If the sound doesn't last a long time, having another person to help may be a solution so both can try to zero in on it from opposite sides of the vehicle.

Noises can be extremely difficult to locate but with time you'll be able to narrow it down to the source. Take photos of the part and post here because giving us just a description in words could be useless. Good luck hunting!

Forgot to mention: it's coming from exactly the same place as the turn signal audible indicator, under the steering wheel dash area. It is so intermittent I didn't even hear it yesterday afternoon. Thank you.

I would start by checking the MFS connector since you describe the noise from that area.

If you have a tilting column move it up and down a couple times and leave it all the up.

If it's something in the steering column, I would advise that you approach with caution as the air bag may possibly trigger if you monkey with something.

What is an MFS connector? Could it trigger the airbag? Thanks.

Click on the link two posts up. Disconnect the battery first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention: it's coming from exactly the same place as the turn signal audible indicator, under the steering wheel dash area.

Is it under the dash, or in the steering column? There are 2 small rectangular relay boxes under the dash near the steering column in front of your right knee. The relays will sometimes click if they're going bad (shorting).

Latest posts