Clicking Rattling - CV Joint - Only Heard Over Small Bumps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snooze

Reaction score
I found CV Grease thrown around on my passenger front wheel, outer joint yesterday after hearing some clicking/rattle when going over small bumps on the road. I drove a few blocks to get back to the driveway and found the grease.

Due to the low amount of time driven and only hearing the clicking when driven over bumps, does anyone think that the bearings on the roller assembly (the cv joint) are done? I am hoping that the noise is only from the lack of lubrication.

Additionally, I have to do some more inspection, but I think the clamp is pinched from a recent hub assembly replacement I did. I do not think the boot is torn. If the joint is still good and only making noise because of the lack of lubrication, then I would like to pump the boot full of grease and replace the band.

Sorry I would say your CV's are done by the time the noise is heard the damage is done. Some can drive for years after putting new boot and grease on but some last days never know might be safe to go ahead and replace it.

Latest posts