clear coating peeling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have 2005 sport trac xlt and the wheels clear coating is peeling and they look terrible has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to fix the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are wheel refurbishing shops. They re-done 2 of mine after being side swiped. Look so new, I wish I had paid for the other side.

There is a nationally franchised chain that fixes them, they have a shop in a trailer and come to you. I have used them to fix a flat spotted wheel on my son's Mustang. See if there is one in your area.

You thought we'd give you a cheap and easy spray-on fix, huh? :bwahaha:

Alright. Well if you want a DIY solution, it does require work...

You've gotta go in there, and sand the wheels. All the way. It's a long, tedious job. I have no idea how much the other guys charge, but I'm sure they've got some sort of media blaster that does it much quicker. Either way, it's gonna be about $25 for the paint, and you've gotta hit it with wheel clear coat from Duplicolor. It's quite a project. Haha. But if you're a DIY guy, and are willing to spend the time, you get the same result...if you know how to paint well.

Sounds like a very messy and labor intensive job. Prices I've seen from professional wheel

refinishers are $125-$150 each. That's about the starting price of brand new alloy rims. GL

Yeah, I paid about $120 to have the one on my son's car fixed but it has aftermarket wheels that are no longer made and I couldn't find one on eBay. Cheaper than buying four of something else.

Latest posts