Class III rear hitch assembly sought.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark P

Reaction score

July 28, 2013.

I am told that in the later years 2008, 2009, 2010.......depending on the trim package (XLT or otherwise) the truck rolled-off the assembly line with a Class II or Class III hitch assembly behind and under the bumper. My luck .....I bought a 2010 with a Class II and I need a Class III assembly. I'm told it's possible to find a Class III assemble and simply replace it for the Class II assembly that is on my XLT. I presume I have to find another XLT and same model year (2010) to accomplish this. Or perhaps just any late model year XLT with the class III assembly. Can anyone confirm any or all of this or offer me any suggestions ? Thanks, Mark P (new site member.).

On Gen 2's the hitch IS the rear crossmember. The factory Class III does have a 7-pin plug and a trailer brake wiring harness plug (in the glovebox, good luck finding one) while the Class II only has a 4-pin plug for lights. Changing it over would involve replacing the entire crossmember. Upside, most vehicles get wrecked in the front and rear half parts are usually plentiful. Now then, that's not really necessary if you can find a good welder who will cut off the Class II hitch and weld on a receiver from a Class III. The crossmember itself is no different.

No, it is simply that Class II was standard and Class III was optional. I've seen V8's with Class II's and V6's with Class III's.

I dont remember who. One member bought the class3 reciever bar. Had a welder cut the class2 out. Then welded in the class3. He didnt cut the whole cross member out. Just the class2 reciever bar.

FYI: Just in case you don't know & I didn't. The 7-pin plug on the Gen 2 [2010 STA @ least] has a 4-pin plug on the botttom of it too.

I also wanted a class III hitch when I bought my 2007 trac but I couldn't find a v6 with a class III hitch and found lots of v8 with them but I wanted to stick with a v6 so and also as mentioned above the hitch on the 2007-2010 are welded into the cross member which is welded to the frame and you wont find a bolt on after market one for these years and if you could it would mount too low as it would have to be under the cross member but as I said I don't think they made any , so after researching this I seen on this web site that a few people cut the class II square piece out of the cross member and welded in a new class III square piece so that's what I did I went to the tractor supply store and they sold the square class III tube piece that I needed to weld in and I cut the class II square tube out and got a buddy of mine that is a union welder and got him to weld in the class III square tube and now it looks just like it was made that way good luck John

Actually I did once see a regular Explorer with a Class III bolt-on hitch under the factory hitch, but you're right in that it hangs pretty low. I wouldn't want one.

Thanks everyone....this is awesome advice. Also, I just received this advice from my local trailer shop......find someone with a Sport Trac that has a Class III (presumably a 2010...mine is a 2010, or a nearby year).....get their VIN # from them......go to Ford or a used parts shop and ask them for the rear cross-member....buy it and install it. Does anyone have a view or opinion on that ? And, if it's a positive view.....do you know anyone with a 2010 that is Class III that might afford me their VIN ?

I think that might be very expensive and a lot of work < just visit your local weld shop and get a price for them to cut out the class II hitch and weld in a class III hitch I did it in 4 or 5 hours and I don't have all the fancy tools that a good weld shop would have < just my thought good luck John

John,

What did you do about the wiring? I assume your Trac was originally only set up with a four pin connector. Unless the original Class II cross-member also has the seven pin connector mounted through it (same as a factory Class-III cross-member), Mark will need to add a seven pin connector as well as a brake controller if he intends to pull a trailer with electric brakes.

This is a little off topic but it might help someone else. I ordered my 2007 Trac with the Class III/IV towing package which meant that it came with both four pin and seven pin connectors. However, when I bought a small, brake-less utility trailer this year the factory four pin connector was so corroded that the trailer lights would not function properly. Solution: I bought a seven pin to four pin adapter.

Thanks for those too, from John and blksn8k (Black Snake?). The more I check around my area for opinion on cutting out the Class II and welding in a Class III, the more I get a skeptical opinion on it. I may look for a while, on-line, for someone who would give me a VIN locally. If not, I am inclined to get Gordie, my welder friend, to do the whole thing. As the Trailer Shop told me just the other day.....why don't they just make everything Class III (2 inch) and higher. If smaller trucks and SUV's are put on the market with Class III, it was a bad choice to make the ST with anything less then Class III. One last question to everyone.......is it possible to install an after-market hitch (Hidden Hitch, Curt, or Reese) that would bend and wrap around everything. In other words, I wouldn't have to remove my cross-member, but just wrap around everything. ??

In one of John's posts he said he could not find any aftermarket hitches for 2nd gen Tracs. I suppose you could try and adapt something to do what you are asking for but if you are willing to go to that much trouble you might as well just change out the Class II tube in the factory crossmember for a Class III. Sounds easier to me.

BTW my username is also the license plate on my black 99 Mustang Cobra.:grin:

[Broken External Image]:

daniel said:
what year is ur trac? i need a factory class II for my '05 trac. did u fix ur problem?

thanks

There was no factory hitch on Gen 1 Tracs. I used to have an '05. The bumper ball mount IS a Class II I think. If you need something more then get a Hidden Hitch Class III. I had that on my old '05 and liked it real well. Tucks up close to the bumper and doesn't hang low.

Latest posts