Class III/IV hitch accessories

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I'd like some opinions as to what type of hardware I should get for the '07 ST (V8 4X4) for general towing. I don't/haven't towed with this truck but thought I should get the items needed for future towing adventures. I've been told to get a 2 inch drop with a 2 inch ball...does that sound right for general applications? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary G
:)

The hitch drop always depends on the trailer. Match the drop to that needed to have the trailer level. As for the ball, most trailer hitches, save for some small utility trailers and pop-up campers, use a 2" ball. So, you should be fine with a 2".

The general recommendation of the 2 inch ball with a 2 inch drop is rite on target. For additional versatility if you are not planning to pull a lot of weight you might look at investing in the convert a ball set up which allows you to change out the ball sizes. See the attached link....

Edit: For the price you can't beat the versatility this set gives you and it's got a 10K lbs weight capacity which is more than most will ever need.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 2" drop ball mount is what you want for most towing applications with this vehicle. I would get the alumi-stinger (100% solid aluminum) or a Stainless steel ball mount, neither of which will rust. Both cost ~ $35.00. A Stainless Steel 2" ball is very nice as well, make sure it comes with a Stainless washer and nut. I use the combination lock hitch pin and it fits perfectly on the 07. I also installed a 3/8" Synch nut with stainless bolt on the top of the receiver to prevent rattles while towing. It's very nice to have when you put on a bike rack or ski rack to keep them from rattling. Ball mount & Ball in the pics below are Bully products in stainless (I did polish them to chrome appearance) I just leave them on the truck. /Brad

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts