Chrysler Believes Small Truck Could Make Comeback

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Hmmm... Perhaps if Chrysler gets back into this market segment, then maybe Ford will too. Sigh... we can only hope at this point!:sad:

Chrysler Believes Small Truck Could Make Comeback

New Entry-Level Ram Model Would Probably Be Unibody

July 09, 2012

By Edward A. Sanchez

While many manufacturers have abandoned the small-to-midsize truck market, some believe there is an unfilled niche for a smaller, more fuel-efficient truck. According to a report from the Detroit Free Press, Chrysler's vice president of product planning Joe Veltri sees the small truck segment as an under-served market that has the potential to be a sales goldmine.

Veltri points out that small and midsize trucks used to outsell their fullsize counterparts as late as the 1980s and that there are two big potential customer groups: the large number of millennials that are outdoor recreational enthusiasts and current boomer fullsize truck owners that will look to downsize. He also cites consumer concerns and interest in better fuel economy as factors that could drive customers towards smaller trucks.

Even before the midsize Dakota model went out-of-production in August 2011, Chrysler has shown several small-to-midsize truck concepts, including the Dodge M80, Dodge Rampage, as well as the Jeep Gladiator, loosely based on the Wrangler SUV. Chrysler's Mopar accessories division offers a conversion kit to turn the Wrangler Unlimited into a pickup.

While the small and midsize trucks of the '80s and '90s were scaled-down body-on-frame designs like their fullsize brethren, Veltri says a future smaller pickup will be unibody to meet future fuel economy standards, as well as changing consumer tastes and needs, which often no longer dictate the capabilities of a full body-on-frame chassis.

Currently, Toyota owns the lion's share of the midsize truck market with the Tacoma, which sold over 100,000 units in 2011 and sales trending even higher for 2012. Bob Carter, Toyota Motor Sales vice president, says that the exit of some other competitors from the market (notably the Ford Ranger) has created an opportunity to expand their market share and that the truck also appeals to customers seeking higher fuel economy. However, fullsize trucks have closed the fuel economy gap considerably, with the Ford F-150's optional EcoBoost V-6 delivering nearly the same fuel economy as a V-6 Tacoma. The Chevrolet Silverado SFE also offers competitive fuel economy with V-8 power.

Yep.....

I'm rebuilding my Trac after 210,000 with new suspension parts, shocks, exhaust, tires and brakes, mainly because I can't replace it directly with a new Ford product. I don't want a F-150. Mine still runs great, and it has minimal rust, so new parts it is...:supercool::supercool:

MikeVT said:
Hmmm ... ford seems to be selling a ton of F150, F250, and F350s.

Its amazing how easy we "adjusted" to $3.50+ gas

I sold me '04 ST which got about 14MPG around town back when gas was over $4/gal. Today's F150 with Ecoboost does better than that ST in gas mileage.

Just saying.

What I think most automakers aren't realizing that even if cost and gas mileage were equal, many people would still perfer a smaller truck to a bigger one. Go figure!

TJR

What I think most automakers aren't realizing that even if cost and gas mileage were equal, many people would still perfer a smaller truck to a bigger one. Go figure!

Indeed. The F150's are great trucks, but I just have no need for something that big. I'm probably going to replace my '04 Trac next summer. If I can't find a good Gen 2 V8 Trac, then I'll probably get an Edge. Heck, I've even looked at the AWD Fusion Sports-that might be a fun car to mod/hot rod and play with.

+1 for TT. I agree. Many folks don't want/need a full size p/u. Being a very short list of choices, its either the several foreign(Toyota, Nissan) models. OR, the Chevrolet Colorado with the V8. What to do? Bob

Yeal, the small truck for us Ford fans is gone for now. If I had to trade tomorrow it would be for the Edge Sport. It has the same engine as the v-6 Mustang and it rocks.

I dont need no stinking f-150...LOL

Are you listening Ford. You will loose my bussiness. When that day comes.....

If I had to trade tomorrow it would be for the Edge Sport.

Yep, that's what I'm leaning towards, more and more. Even over a Gen 2. Or even a Lincoln MKX. I've seen a few of those that I like as well.

We love our Edge! The sport is awesome. My wife really wants the wheels from it and I've found a couple similar in style but haven't had enough extra in the budget for something so unnecessary. Those wheels new were something like $3,800.:cry:

When discussing a replacement for the Ranger (or ST), I always read where people say that sales for smaller trucks are way down and thus there is no market. I say there is poor sales because there is no product availability. Make a nice small to mid-size truck that gets relatively improved mileage and I think you'll have a winner. I think a ST sized vehicle with improvements in design to lighten it and run a smaller Eco-boost V6 could be a winner. Have an economical version, a higher end version, and of course a 'Raptor-like' version (for me) :supercool:

Latest posts