Check Engine preluded by rough idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Corn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago my 05 trac started idling kind of rough. It was driving me nutz. I seafoamed the oil, gas, and the upper manifold via the vacuum hose connected to the master brake cylinder. No dice. Now I get a check engine light today. On Sunday the car stalled during startup.

It really reminds me of when doin the Seafoam through the intake, the rough idling at first and hesitant startup. Checked all hoses, tight and secure they are.

Ran by advance on the way Home OBD-II Code P0172 and P0175

HELP PLEASE!

thanks, I saw that. As well as both banks? In the computer world I am thinking of DIMM banks for Memory.

Any reason why both banks fail? What is a bank

MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)

I'm no tech, but this seems like the logical and easiest place to start.

Should be part of routine maintenance along with the cleaning the IAC and throttle body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I just checked my spark wires and they have some sort of burned cuts in them. Like a gash. I know the code does troubleshoot on this, but do you think the coil could be bad or the plugs?

Hmm...2005. Ever change the spark plugs? I'd pull the driver's side plugs and see what they look like. If you don't like how the wires look I'd replace those too.

Yep I changed them as soon as I got the car. I bought it a few years at 53xxx and changed the spark plugs with autolite app103. now it only has 87xxx miles.

Can I get a diagnostic reader that throws ford specific codes? I highly doubt both banks O2 sensors would go bad at the same time, but their probably reading too rich fuel / air ratio.

Last night i pulled off my throttle body sensor, MAF sensor, intake and it started idling much more rough and actually stalled.

DTC codes P0172/175 don't sound IAC related, but you should clean it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

At 111,000 miles with never a serious problem I had something like that happen to me but somewhat worse. It started missing bad and the check engine light started flashing so I had it towed instead of driving to the shop. When it would cut out I could restart it but with check engine light flashing I considered it serious. Two fuel injectors had shut down and it was pumping fuel past them onto the pistons. I should have had them cleaned much earlier or at least used a fuel additive more often.

That doesnt sound good.

I just changed my wires. Still rough idle. Bypassed the MAF Sensor and entire intake at this point and it got worse. I think its fuel lines at this point. Just dont know where to go from here or how to check the return fuel line / fuel injectors / fuel pressure on the rail.

I had similar rough idle on my 05 SportsTrac where it idle really bad upon start-up. Ran a bit better once it warmed up. I replaced plugs and wires to no avail. Gave in and took into Ford today. They stated it failed combustion test with misfiring on #4 upon startup. When they pulled the wires, they found coolant in#1 & 4. Not a happy camper as this tells me that engine replacement is in my near future.

Will be getting second opinion over next week as I am no mechanic. Anyone have an idea where I can find a decent replacement engine around the MidSouth (Memphis)?