Check Engine Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Brewer

Reaction score
Just a note for those that might not have experienced the check engine light glow yet......I finally have at 90k. I decided not to venture to a dealer or repair shop to have a diagnosis. Instead I purchased a Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Test Tool on E-Bay. It read codes P0401 & P0402. These codes lead you to believe the EGR valve is bad. Most of the time it's the DPFE sensor. That is exactly what the problem was. Doing it myself....$89 (tool and part)....dealer....$240. Huge savings!!!! the diagnostic tool was a great investment. A simple 3 minute repair that requires no tools. I hope this might save a few bucks for another STer!

Just out of curiosity, why kind of tool did you need to buy to do this job? I thought just disconnecting two hoses, and one electrical connecter, it all it took. A pair of pliers at most for the grabbing the hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Check Engine Light by Dan Long,8/19/2009 09:55 ET

While a scanner is nice to have, don't forget most parts stores will read codes for free.

Keep in mind they will read.. but will not Clear them. ( In CT anyway )Pep boys and autozone both got introuble in Ct for clearing codes before people went into Emissions..

$89 for a DPFE? I paid about $25. Took five minutes to change it in the O'Reilly parking lot using my bare hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
DPFE is a common problem on the early tracs. You must have bought it at the dealer. $89 is way over normal. I have 2 readers paid $99 for one then $45 for the one for CAN OBD2. I wish I had known that in'04 ford switched to, CAN.

ATTN EVERYONE!!!

Read the quote taken from the mans post...

Doing it myself....$89 (tool and part)....dealer....$240.

I read that that the tool and part combined cost $89.00.

Tom

Thanks Caymen.....you were the ONLY one that clearly read my post!!! LOL And NO.....here in California......AutoZone, Pep Boys or Kragen WILL NOT test for codes or clear check engine light.