changing transmission oil and filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
At 30,000 I took the 2007 4.6 in for some maintenance. I was surprised to find out that to get the oil and filter changed in the transmission I need to go to the dealership. (special tools and no way to fill??) Is this true?

Thanks for the help.

Benny

(special tools and no way to fill??) Is this true?

Not true. The dipstick is under the plug. Where the dip tube use to be. You will need a funnel with a long hose. Or a way to pump the new fluid into the hole.

All ford did was eliminate the the long dip tube and stick. It is still a DIY, just different.

My mechanic dropped the pan and replaced the filter. Then put a fitting in one of the cooling lines to flush out the rest of the old fluid. Then filled it up. (done at 36K miles) It was like a $300 bill, but worth it in terms of better operation of the trannie. This is definately a DIY job if you choose. But look into putting a drain plug in the pan when you do(Jegs, Summit, etc.) it will make future changes a lot easier. Bob

112k......NEVER changed the trans fluid.......even my Ford dealer said not to. Runs as good as the day it was new. Great vehicle. Have only done 2 brake jobs and 1 master cylinder.....nothing else has been replaced. I only wish Ford kept making the ST.

I got 132 000km and never change my transmission fluid. I went to the dealer and they told me they don?t change the filter any more and they don?t change the fluid unless I have some transmission issue. If ever I have a trouble at the stop sign (jerking) unhook the battery for the night so the system reset and learns again your driving habits.

Did you guys have the same comments?

My Ford dealer refused to change the fluid and/or filter on my '07 4.6 Sport Trac at @60k miles. Service manager said Ford told them not to change the fluid unless there was a specific reason to do so.

My guess is that Ford is covering their rears due to transmission failures after their dealers work on them. Maybe they don't know how to handle the new dipsticks?

"To change transmission fluid or not - that is the question." No doubt this is one of the most controversial maintenance issues out there. There are those who work with or who have operated machinery (it was jets for me) for years; that tribe believes you get longevity, best performance and savings in the long run by changing fluids. The other tribe believes in leaving it alone until there's an issue. That issue is component failure. In my experience there are very few shops (dealership or independents) that repair major components; it's replacement, with the attendant cost, downtime and frequently a decision on whether to repair, trade in or call the crusher. There are ways to service these newer trannies - you just have to dig a little. Installing a drain plug the first time you drop the pan is a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the mileage on your tranny, I would recommend getting the fluid flushed. If you don't have more than 100K miles on the odometer then you should not have any issues with the tranny filter.

A fluid flush changes about 98-99% of the fluid in your transmission. Dropping the pan and changing the filter only changes about 50% of the old fluid unless the filter change is followed by a fluid flush...perhaps that's what Ford does?

A fluid flush requires the use of a special machine that is filled with about 14 quarts of fresh fluid and has hoses that connect to the transmission fluid lines that go to the cooler in the radiator. The engine is started and the transmission pumps the old fluid out through the cooling lines, which forces the fresh fluid back into the transmission. After about 10 minutes you will see all the old dark dirty fluid is in the machine and the new fluid is in the transmission..

I am a firm believer in the transmission fluid flush rather than going the old school way of dropping the pan to change the filter, but only about half of the old fluid. When you have the fluid flushed, you have less chance of fluid leaks or problems with shops improperly installing the filter or o-rings and those mistakes can kill your transmission.

Also the life blood of the transmission is the fluid. This is a hydraulic fluid used to cool the transmission and exert hydraulic pressure to shift gears and operate the transmission. The filter is only a fine screen to block larger particles from being recirculated through the transmission. The filter does not trap and hold these particles like an engine oil filter. When the engine is shut off the particles blocked by the transmission filter will fall harmlessly to the bottom of the transmission pan where the ferrous metal particles will be attracted to a magnet and held their harmlessly. If you regularly have your fluid flushed, your transmission filter should easily last more than 100K miles...but your fluid rarely will last that long.

I have my transmission flushed on all my vehicles every 25K-30K miles and have never had any transmission problems. More and more vehicle manufacturers are recommending fluid flushes. Some who use the sealed transmission only recommend transmission service every 100K miles?? I am not for going that long without a fluid flush. Remember, dealerships want you to have your vehicle serviced at their shop, so they will often quote you more frequent maintenance intervals than the factory recommends. That way they get you in more often, and perhaps they can find more things wrong or give you the impression that you need some additional, extra cost service.

...Rich

So it's up to the owner to decide what's best for his Trac: Service or No Service. I'm with Richard L. BTW, I was blown away one day talking to a Ford dealership service manager about what he drove and how he maintained it. Turns out he drove a POS that he did as little as possible to. Go figure.

According to the 2010 Ford Maintenance Schedule, there is no service to the automatic transmission, the transfer case, or the differentials until 150K miles. The rear axle should be considered sealed for life. This all goes out the window if you use 4X4 a lot, tow a lot, or drive in dusty conditions (gravel roads, Arizona). Then most are recommended for service every 30K miles. Also, the entire drive system is susceptible to intrusion by water if submerged, and the maintenance guide recommends a fluid check/change if any of these components are covered by water. What out boat towers.

No transmission service for 150K miles...hmmm? Then why did Ford only give you a 36K mile warranty?

If your transmission dies at 50K miles is Ford going to fix it for free? I don't think so.

This sounds like Fords sealed for life ball joints. Most only make it past the expiration of the warranty...be it time or mileage.

I bought a new 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix that had a sealed transmission that did not require service for 100K miles. I was fortunate and did not have any transmission issues but the Grand Prix website was full of people with transmission problems. I traded the GP at 42K miles and bought my new 2001 Job-1 Sport Trac.

...Rich