Changing the engine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
Anyone done it? Anything I need to watch out for, like perhaps the tensioner being bad or doing something to break it? My belt has been slipping for awhile and with the truck being 8 years old I figure a new belt is in order.

Do your self a favor. Get a serpintine belt wrench from harbor freight, $10. Sooo much easier. The tensonor is in a crappy place for a 3/8 ratchet or breakover. The belt wrench is thiner and 2 peice multiple position.

Like Eddie said it's easier with that tool but not needed if you don't have one. Just use a rachet wrench and turnig it to loosen the tensioner till you get the belt off and repeat process to reinstall the new belt, doesn't take more the a minute to do. I use a longer wrench that's got a swivel head so I can put it up against the frame to keep the tensioner in place while I install the belt (two hands free makes it easier) than holding the wrench keeping pressure on it and trying to install the belt. :banana:

go ahead and replace your idler and tensioner.

im fixing to change my belt and everyone recommended i go ahead and change

those parts while im at it.

Has anyone done a project on this? Also, I know some recommended going with a slightly smaller belt from Gates- anyone know the exact size?

changing the belt is easy and you don't need a special tool. I put mine on the other day. It will help if you have a friend. I took off the intake tube and my friend pushed over the tensioner while I slipped the belt in place. Took maybe 15 minutes on the side of the road.

I used my thinest longest swivel 3/8 ratchet. Took intake snorkle off. used a pipe on the ratchet for the shorter belt. It was a pain to hold it and keep the belt threaded. cutting my hands on the close clearance on the fan and such. with the short belt I had to push the tensor to the stop for install.

So I invested in one of these. My niegbor used it on his '02 trac, and praised it.

Latest posts