Changing Shocks (Rear)?!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris R 2

Reaction score
Well,

Last night I picked up my new Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, and hit the garage to try and figure everything out. All I have to say is that, at that time, I found out I was missing certain tools that I previously had, and there's precious little space to dismount the top bolts on the rear shocks.

I ended up giving up and re-tightening what I could reach. Went to Sears and picked up a nice 51 piece "Max Axxess" low profile ratcheting mechanics tool set (929309), which I was actually rather impressed with. Both inch and metric sockets. I already had ratcheting metric wrenches, but for some reason the 13mm (which I determined was the proper bolt size) wouldn't grip properly. At least with the new tool set, I had great purchase, but it ended up being just too cramped. I could only reasonably access the R-Rear shock.

My next bright idea was to see if I could unbolt and raise the bed for more access.

I noted that the Sport Trac bed was secured using 4 Torx bolts, but I couldn't find out what size in my Haynes manual, or online. I bought a Torx set from Sears, but it only went up to T-50... close, but not enough. I'm thinking maybe T-55 or a bit more.

So, I admitted defeat, re-mounted the spare tire, and went to bed for the night. One last discovery was that the Haynes manuals, while nice to have, just didn't seem to adequately cover the beloved ST.

Any ideas?

I had previously replaced the shocks at least three times on my 2001. The best way I did it was to back it up on to a set of ramps. Drop the spare tire. Drop the canister that is in the way and everything else you can get to. I have not had the 2001 since 2008 so it has been a while but it was just not that hard once you got those items out of the way.

I hope that helps.

Raising the bed would be a PITA to just gain access to the drivers rear shock.

Ditto on removing the canister, make sure the hoses are correctly replaced and snug.

The recommended 13mm swivel ratchet makes this R&R easy, but time consuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Steve said. A 13mm gearwrench with swivel head. Is the perfect tool for the top rear bolts. I have a set of metric and sae. wonder tools. IMO :supercool:

Thank you all for replying! I checked this thread when I got home, and magically found myself back under the truck working on my shocks lol.

I ended up using my ramps, and loosening the evaporator / canister to get to the bolts. It still took me a while to finish up, but the mystery was solved. The overall process was difficult for me mainly because the Sena-trac load adjusting shocks are extremely rigid. I could not physically compress them, and ended up having to use my truck's spare jack to force the piston into place. It was quite intesting watching the shocks lift my frame! After completing the rear, I moved on and replaced the front shocks. Much easier, and I was done fairly quickly. Unfortunately there were no instructions with these shocks, but it seemed fairly intuitive. The washer / nut / rubber bumper thing seemed correctly installed.

The truck now sits a few inches higher, which wasn't intended but not unwanted. A road test showed a firmer but more responsive ride. Big diference!

Next job, sway bars :haveabeer:

Good job! Didn't know if you were aware of this rebate, may just slightly ease your pain. :banana:

You are upgrading the ST suspension in perfect order. I did mine in that exact sequence.

Check with Zabteck for the sway bars, nobody comes close on price, service, w/ free shipping.

I'm still not convinced upgrading the front bar is necessary, it honestly feels that good!

I upgraed only the rear anti-sway bar and all bushings with urethan. The over/understeer balance is fine. I think replacing the front would result in the same understeer as stock, but stiffer ride in turns and less articulation.

I went with the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks and really like them.

Rigdog,

*cry* I figured the T-55 part out after buying a kit that only went up to T-50 lol. I damaged one bolt because the darn things are in there super tight. I've been looking for a replacement, but it looks like Junkyard or Ford are the only options for that bolt.

Yardsale,

I'm also only upgrading the rear suspension control bar. When I took the front off, I couldn't figure on a beefier bar being a necessary upgrade. All I did was ensure that the bushings were replaced with Energy Suspension poly, and everything seems fine. On Eddie's advice I tightened up the front end link bushings and it corrected the articulation to a point I'm pretty satisfied with.

I ordered the Addco rear bar, but there's a bit of a delay from the factory so still waiting for that one lol.

When I was looking for shocks, a parts manager recommended that I check out the Rancho XL adjustable shocks. I wasn't as familiar with taking things apart and tweaking, so I just went with the Sensa-Trac load adjusting rear and their standard front shocks. There are still a bunch of questions to ask hehe!

Latest posts