Changing fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to do mine a month ago and it should of been like a 15 min job but I tried twice for an hour and half with 3 different tools and couldn't get the side that runs towards to engine off..I don't know if anyone else has had a issue or not

I did it my self, it's not as easy as others. The first time I did it took me about an hour with the plastic fuel line release tool. The second time I went to O'Reillys and got the metal fuel line disconnect tool and it took me about 20min. The trick is to push in on the fuel line then push the disconnect tool in. This will get the metal fingers over the ring and you may have to give the fuel line a good pull to get it the rest of the way off the filter. Best of luck to ya!

I have the Lisle plastic kit. The shoulder is longer than other plastic ones, I have seen.

It has realeased all Fords I have worked on.

The trick is be sure to wash out the connector with WD. Then push in the connector then push in the tool.

Recently used it on a freinds escape. Same exact fittings, as my '04 trac. Came right apart.

EddieS is right on this!

Make sure you spray some lubricant into the connection about 15 mins prior to attempting to replace the filter. There is road gunk, sand, etc that will prevent the tool from being able to fully slide into the connection and release the line.

A couple years back, I tried the plastics and metal tools with no luck until I did this. I did however find the metal tools to work better than the plastics.

Good luck!

Latest posts