Changed fuel filter today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Well, today I changed the fuel filter on my Trac. Took a whole 5 minues to do. Those clips are super easy to remove. I even had Theresa to watch me do it. Her comment was "I never heard you cuss once. When yu do my car, that is all you do"

Go figure.

All I need to do now is change my Tranny fluid and I should be set.

So far this year in mainteance I have done is the engine oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid (half way, still need to bleed the front brakes), plugs and wires, fuel filter, drive belt, rear differential, tires, and shocks. I think I am set.

Tom

:cool:....Tom you are like me. Do it myself. I know its done right. Everything is tightened properly. Sometimes the shops let the the gohfers do the small stuff. I have had the gohfers leave parts and srcews off...and bolts loose.

I keep servicing records and reciepts, just in case the dealer wants to give me, warranty problems.

About to change mine. Did you use oem or after market? Price quoted from local Ford was over $20 which seems kind of steep.

Eddie,

I think it's "go-fers", as in "go fer this", and "go fer that". At least I hope they don't have actual gophers working on cars!

I like the term "lot jockey".

Yardsale....Lot Jockey,,I like that. Iam used to calling the trainees where I used to work, goh-fers...:lol:

TomT, I used a Motorcraft filter. I got it from Rockauto.com

joycie, The filter is under the vehicle below the drivers seat on the frame. Really easy to get to.

Everyone, I can not stress it enough, <b>DO NOT</B>...I repeat, <B><font size=+1>DO NOT</Font></B> buy those plastic ones from the parts store. They are junk and do not work. Get the metal ones. If you can not find them in your area, let me know. I will buy some for you. You pay me the cost they cost me (I will provide a reciept, if wanted, as proof as I do not intend to make a profit) and pay for shipping. I have tried the plastic oness in the past and they arent worth crap. They are junk. I have the metal ones. After I got the first set, I went back to the store and got another so I have an extra at hand if I loose the first ones.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the last time I did it (on my wife's expedition) all I had was the plastic tool and it was a major pain in the you know what. I'm going to try it again with the metal tool like you suggest Tom.

I've never done this "project" yet but wanna give it a shot. So I was just wondering if you needed any special tools (like the one suggested on the project page - did you guys use this one??)

Thanks