Change to G1 to G2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike burns 3

Reaction score
After 8 years its about time to give up the old 2001 Gen1. I'm probably going to go ahead in switch to a Gen2. Any thing I should watch for? Is there a pre-buy checklist? Any models I should avoid? I want a opening back window so I'll focus on '08 and newer.

I'm not to exited about some of the interior options. Any good seat covers (that look OEM) out there? Wish I could keep the simple grey leather interior I have now.

Any thoughts on were to start looking? I have looked on autotrader, cargurus, and cars.com.[i

Keep searching. They're out there for sale. Lets see, problems with my '08. Brake calipers seizing(front and rear), rear caliper rattle, covers on vanity mirrors broke off(both). Leather dye on my seat started to come off, exhaust leaks(broken manifold bolts), now at 75K, sounds like rear axle(hub) bearings are starting to go. Thats about it, mostly minor stuff except for the brakes and bearings. Good luck hunting! Try to get one thats loaded, you'll pay a bit more, but you'll be more comfortable. Bob

My 07 has the power fully opening back window. Only problem was the transmission bump but was taken care of by the dealer, fully covered.

Benny

As Benny said the rear window was available mid-year and I had the tranny bump issue that went unresolved after 2 dealer visits.

Other then that it was problem free up until about 50k when I turned it back in.

IMO the gen2 is a better ride then the gen1.

I would definitely get a V8.

Look and look before you buy. Negotiate!!!!!

IMO, look for an '09 with V8. They are scarce as hen's teeth but will be worth the effort. I got a '10 V8 and am very happy with it but Ford had already started to wind down the production on 2010 models. On '07-'09 models with a V8 they came with a fender badge. My '10 didn't have that ( Ford saving 50 cents). So, search on AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc. and good luck! :supercool:

Think I'm going for the V6. I don't tow more that a snowmobile trailer. Plus I need to be frugal, I just purchased a old house and its bleeding me dry.

Every time I get set on the Gen2 and nice Gen1 shows up for sale. Not that I don't like the Gen2 but my Gen1 has been a great truck and the $10K difference would go a long way on my house project.

Alternator crapped out on the 3/36 warranty, two right front hub and bearing assemblies covered on extended warranty, recently a cracked radiator also on extended warranty. Mostly just change the fluids. Some have said that the IRS rear diff on Gen 2 Tracs (and Gen 3 Explorers) is troublesome but I change the lube in mine every 30k and haven't had any problems so far. It has a drain plug and is easy to do yourself. I change the t-case lube every 30k also, had the tranny flushed at 50k even though the manual says to do it at 100k. The front diff I had done at the qwicky-lube at 50k.

I've owned both. Ride and handling on the Gen 2 is so vastly better than the Gen 1 that it isn't funny and you don't have to get new shocks right away. Seats, yeah, you pretty much have either tan cloth that gets dirty while you watch or black or tan leather in a Limited. For some reason the Gen 2 bed is slipperier so I got a rubber bed mat. The storage boxes in the bed floor are sweet. I wouldn't recommend the V8 unless you tow or REALLY need the extra power. The plugs are a PITA and expensive to change even if they don't break, and the exhaust manifolds tend to crack. There is a TSB for a transmission reflash.

Overall I like my Gen 2 a lot better.

V8 is so much worth it! The power is awesome, and the gas mileage is nearly the same.

I agree- go with a 09 or 10 if you can swing it. If you are really serious, I might (I said might) be interested in selling my '10 limited 4x4 V8. Turned over 12,000 miles this week. I love my trac, but I love motorcycles too. I want a better bike and might settle for a lesser truck.

Latest posts