ceramic vs. semi-metallic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello all,

I am planning on replacing all the brakes on my 2004. I am going to use cross drilled rotors and I found a set F+R for a very good deal on ebay but the kit includes semi-metallic pads. The seller will upgrade to ceramic for an extra $65. What I want to know is, which is better on the ST? I have read the pros and cons in general, but what to THESE trucks prefer? The only requirements I have are:

I don't want the brakes to squeal and I don't want the rotors to warp again (this is what is driving me insane now!)

I look forward to your input

Honestly cross drilled rotors are over kill for most applications. Unless you are racing or autocrossing. All the cross drill holes do is help disipate the heat from the friction of pads to help cool the rotors. However, expect to change you pads in 1/2 of the normal wear life. Most applications a good set of brembo blanks are the way to go. The ceramic pads do usually offer better stopping power but most people get them do to the low brake dust residue. Brake dust can stain your rims and also cause suspension parts to wear sooner than expected. Make sure if you do upgrade the pads with your rotors that the pads are quality pads. I like hawk pads personally or ebc is the way to go. Other pads will wear too fast.

Ditto on what sam said. Also if you are a heavy braker. you may be replacing rotors every brake job. They split between the holes. Racers go thru many rotors.

I have an '04. I brake heavy and OEM has served me well.

only reason I am looking at cross drilled rotors is because the guys price for all 4 with pads is cheaper than what I would pay just for the front rotors and no pads locally. I don't really care if they are drilled or not. I am not sure if I am allowed to post an ebay link on here or not, but these rotors sound really good, he claims they are thicker than "cheap" rotors and will not crack or warp easily. I will likely try a set and see how they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get what you pay for and unfortunately in most cases quality always costs more. Don't use the cross drilled rotors, you will not be happy with the results.

Most of the time if you look at those brake guys on Ebay they also offer non drilled at an even better price. You might check out the site of the ones you are looking at and some times you can find a good price on non drilled rotors.

I've heard many more nays than yeahs regarding drilled rotors, from here and other forums.

Installed Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic pads with OEM rotors, about 6 months ago.

Non existent dust, noise, wear, with very smooth and positive stopping power.

I thought I remembered that Ford said no ceramic pads if you are going to tow with it. Not sure why, but I have stayed with the semi-metallic and have had no problems.

I thought I remembered that Ford said no ceramic pads if you are going to tow with it. Not sure why

Ceramic pads hold more heat. They can fade from that, under heavy use from loads and continuos hard braking. Also continous hard braking on hills, especialy loaded or towing.

Otherwise they are good pads for normal use. Long life, stoping power and low dust.

Ok, I've got slotted/cross-drilled rotors on my truck. Put them on in the spring last year with a good set of ceramic pads. The rotors are in great shape, but new pads(Wagner Thermo-Quiet) are going on tommorrow. To be honest, I don't think, that under "normal" driving conditions, you will see any improvement in brake performance. You just get a set of "cool" looking rotors. When you got everything apart, take some time to clean up and paint the calipers, you'll be happy you did! BC

honestly if you want more braking performance you need to upgrade the piston caliper or if your just looking for better stopping for daily use add ss brake lines and hawk pads.