cell phone data usage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
So, today I got a text from us cellular stating I was at 100% of my data plan...stopped in to the store and they looked up my account. Seems I used my max of Mobile Data just through youtube videos in the last couple weeks. I, ignorantly, got a new phone and have been watching movies, music videos, etc nonstop...didn't know any differently. Rep says I should always use wifi if I have the choice, which I will from now on since I have it at home and work. Never knew that I guess. So, if I use wifi, can I watch videos with no harm to my phone plan?. What else uses a lot of mobile data storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always always always always use wifi. Anything that you do that is internet based while you are on wifi will not incur any data usage on your plan. Nowadays there is wifi just about everywhere. I set my phone to notify me if a wifi connection is available when I go places. Did I mention that you should always use wifi if possible?

Agree. Always use wifi when available.

If you're accessing sensitive information (anything with a password by my definition), only use a secure wifi connection that you are familiar with and trust.

Most cellular phone services have some sort of unlimited, calling, texting and internet data usage, with the possible exception of AT&T Wireless. While the plans may be unlimited, they will often throttle back on your data speed once you exceed some specified limit.

I have T-Mobile and they have an unlimited service plan that provides up to 5GB of data at full 4G speed. After you have reached your 4G data limit they throttle your speed down to 3G or even lower?

AT&T gives you a limit based on your plan, and then charges you extra if you exceed that limit

T-Mobile now has a plan similar to the old MetroPCS which includes unlimited calling, texting and internet data for only $30-$60 a month depending on the type of phone you have. Smartphones like the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy pay the highest rates. Then reason I like T-Mobile is the allow WiFi calling so you can make and receive calls even if you are not in range of a cellular tower, but your phone is connected to a local WiFi network.

...Rich

bobk,

Verizon = Unlimited data

That is not true.

All cellular service providers claim to have "Unlimited Data Plans", but if you read the fine print they all have some restrictions. Some clearly say that you are given a specific amount of high speed (LTE, 4G) data per month and if you exceed that amount your speed will be throttled back to a slower speed...usually a crippling speed....So yes the data is unlimited but not without restrictions. Sometimes unlimited data is based on how much you can pay. More money=more data....That's Verizon's Unlimited data plan.

At least one providers claims the "Unlimited Data Plan" applies when connected to a WiFi network only???? Duh?

Most providers have more expensive plans that offer more data, or you can add on increments of extra data. Currently Verizon allows he customers to purchase additional data for their "Unlimited Data Plans" at $15 for each additional 1GB block of data per month.

If there were a truly "Unlimited, Unrestricted Data Plan) there would be no need to upgrade your "Unlimited Data Plan".

Most of the cellular companies have restructured their plans and now offer monthly plans and no longer require 2 year contracts. Most require you to buy your phone but with only a small discount and Free phones are very limited.

...Rich

I've been on Verizon for about the last year after switching from Sprint. I was with Sprint for 12 years but got so fed up with the atrocious data speeds here in Phoenix that I finally said enough is enough. A year ago Sprint still did not have 4g here, don't know if they do yet but it doesn't matter now. The wife and I share a plan, unlimited everything except for data which we started out with 2GB. We are not heavy data users and if the 2 of us used 500MB a month that was a lot. Verizon being the generous company that they are decided to give us an extra 1GB a month just for the hell of it....made me laugh because we are the last people in the world that need data.

Sprint also supports wifi calling.

Agree with quality issues of Sprint. I have been with them for 17 years. Their service quality and speeds got so ridiculously bad about two years ago that I was considering paying the ETF and changing carriers. However, in the last two years they have greatly improved their network and towers, and now provide 4G in lots more places. I am satisfied again, and I cannot find a plan nearly as cheap as what I have from any other carrier. Sprint sucked so bad, but they finally fixed their problems around here. However, I was in Santa Fe a few months ago, and my phone was nearly worthless, so apparently Sprint hasn't got all their work finished yet.

I replied earlier but lost my internet connection..:angry::angry:

I tried to say that I had problems with T-Mobile service where I live and they provided a free Cellular signal amplifier. That worked great for the past 1.5 year until this past May when I could not get a singnal even with the amplifier. Often I would get a signal that I had been routed to WiFi for calling? Even while try to make WiFi calls, I got the message indicating that my phone was not Registered on the network?????

I called T-Mobil and found out they were upgrading the local towers and service might be interrupted from time to time. They said it might take a few weeks to a few months to compete the upgrades. Then I was told by the engineers that it might take up to 6 months to finish the tower upgrades..:angry::angry::angry:

My current 2 year contract ends in October, so I have been looking at other cellular services. Currently, Verizon looks best, however that may change between now and the end of October. We will just have to wait and see.

...Rich

T Mobil's coverage is pretty bad. Verizon is very good, I have Sprint and it's unlimited. My daughter has Verizon and her bill this month was $20 more for more data usage.

JohnnyO,

Yes, I agree that T-Mobile coverage is far from ideal when compared to Verizon or AT&T.

In Texas, coverage varies for all companies. Some have great coverage in some areas and poor coverage in other areas. Along the I-35 corridor coverage is pretty good for all the cellular companies. I live on the far edge of Waco near the airport and in a fringe area for all cellular companies. In the past I have had AT&T as well as MetroPCS and had a lot of dropped calls.

I went with T-Mobile because they offered free WiFi calling. That way if I was having connection problems I could always use my home WiFi network to make and receive calls. At that time T-Mobile was the only company, and may still be the only company offering WiFi calling. Also, T-Mobile provided me with a free Cellular Signal Booster which worked great until they decided to upgrade the local tower. Hopefully they will get the upgrades to the tower finished soon.

I always reexamine my cellphone service, Auto Insurance, Home Insurance, Electric service providers at renewal time. I even research and compare my Bank's interest rates, etc and switch to who ever has the best plan for me, at the best price.

My T-Mobile contract ends in late October, so that's why I am looking now to see who has the best plans and prices.

...Rich

Latest posts