Cassette Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric G 2

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could provide some insight here...

I use a cassette tape adapter to play my ipod in my sport track. After about 25min of play the cassette makes sort of a dying cat/whining/grinding noise. Anything under 25min and there's no noise at all. Does this sound like a problem with the head unit or the cassette. Also is there anything I can do to the cassette or head unit? (Maybe clean the head of the tape, if ipod cassette adapters even have them)

Thank you

I can't help with the cassette, but another option would be to get an FM-transmitter. You plug that into a cigarette lighter, plug your ipod headphone output into it and then you can listen to your ipod over the radio.

I use one to listen to music on memory cards.

Try playing a standard cassette first. Unlikely a tape head problem.

No mechanical wear possible on the cassette adapter, though most likely the culprit.

Amazon has replacement adapters under twenty dollars. (Maxell, Sony, etc.)

The Pioneer Adrenalin HU and components are quality, and "looks" factory, save it if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet your adapter is starting to wear out...after several minutes of use maybe it is getting a little "toasty" (the radio units in the ST get kinda warm) and then it starts to grind. Remember thermo dynamics...warm expands, cool contracts. I suspect it warms up, expands a little to the point that the "wear" on the spools starts to be an issue.

As for Bo's recommendation on the FM transmitter, I've yet to find one that I didn't want to throw out the window due to poor sound quality.

TJR

I bet your adapter is starting to wear out...after several minutes of use maybe it is getting a little "toasty" (the radio units in the ST get kinda warm) and then it starts to grind. Remember thermo dynamics...warm expands, cool contracts. I suspect it warms up, expands a little to the point that the "wear" on the spools starts to be an issue.

As for Bo's recommendation on the FM transmitter, I've yet to find one that I didn't want to throw out the window due to poor sound quality.

Agree with TJR. I went through 3 of these adapters on my ST -- they just get so hot and start making weird noises or the cassette player tries to eject them. I got the FM adapter for my XM and it worked pretty good, not great, but not any worse than the cassette adapter. Obviously, a direct connection is preferred, but if you cant afford to replace the head unit, I would try the FM adapter route for the IPOD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trac radio gets HOT...

I installed a 12 volt computer fan onto the backside of my OEM radios due to the heat.

I was able to use to bolt holes on the fan and use the power on wire (12 positive when the ignition is turned on and powers up the radio) to activate the fan whenever the vehicle was running.

It was a perfect fix. Never had another issue with the radio.

Latest posts