Cargo Bed Question - Scratches :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Reaction score
Hey all - Got a question for ya, I'm sure maybe someone else may have experienced this w/ the composite ST bed ...

Got an 08 Trac, I march in a drum corps, and for the first few rehearsals after I picked up my track, transported my instrument case in the bed. The composite cargo bed is described as "scratch resistant" and didn't think anything of it, but to my horror discovered the case had made a few scratches to the bed! I got the truck loaded, and didn't think to get the rubber mat accessory (why get one much less offer one if the bed is "scratch-resistant"?).

I'm kinda grappling with how to treat it, if possible, to restore it to pre-scratch condition.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! And I'm for sure getting a rubber mat now that I've learned my lesson. :cry::cry:

Thanks,

RJ

It is a truck; supposed to have bed scratches:supercool:

If you are worried about more scratches either get it rhino lined or use a bed mat. Ford lied saying they are scratch resistant.

The Ford bed mat is the best add-on that I bought and installed. It's been nine years and there's not a single scratch in my bed.

If you are worried about more scratches either get it rhino lined

Rhino or Line-X material won't stick to the plastic bed in a Trac.

Ford lied saying they are scratch resistant.

There's a difference between scratch resistant and scratch proof. It's plastic. If you throw anything of a harder substance in the bed, it's going to scratch. It's a truck, don't worry about it.

Only thing you can do is get a bed mat. But that won't protect the sides or inner tailgate.

Thanks all - was just thinking there was a material that could applied to the composite bed to at least mask or touch up the scratches.

Will definitely get that rubber mat!

Sorry to hear this. I have put many items in the bed (Christmas trees, flowers and plants, recyclables-cans and bottles) and I have no damage to the bed. When I detail it, looks like new! Just my experience. BC

multiple firewood trips, countless sheets of plywood, numerous 5 gal. bottles of water, numerous yards of topsoil and mulch and countless beds full of garden waste and thats not the half of it. I stopped caring quite awhile ago, its a truck and as long as the bed doesn't crack i am ok. I throw things in the bed now its kind of nice not having to worry about denting it (tailgate excluded). I don't think you can get the scratches out maybe paint over them? I know mine turn white, which im assuming is the colour of the material used.

I agree. Its a truck! If you are worried about the bed getting messed up, you shouldnt have a truck. You would hate to see mine. But, you cant with the cover on!

Note to Gen 1 owners:

I've had both and the bed in my '08 marks up A LOT easier than the bed in my old '05. Probably should have got a bed mat but I have less than a year left on the lease now.

LonghornDude, I've found that if I scrub the bed with a soft brush and Westley's Bleach-White and after it dries rub it out with Mother's Back To Black , that kinda minimizes the marks. Downside, it makes the bed a little slippery if you're walking around in it. Which is the other issue I have, the Gen 2 composite bed is a lot slipperier than the Gen 1 even with nothing on it.