CARB Exempt?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Taverna

Reaction score
HI all

Im looking to purchase a K&N air charger for my 09 ST. It seems the only difference between the p/n's 57-2573 and 63-2573 is that the 57 series is CARB exempt, making it usuable under California's strict emission laws along with a couple other east coast states that follow the same law, according to a website I looked at. The funny thing is, K&N's website lists the CARB exempt 57 series as usable for the 06-07 Explorer, and the 63 series for the 08 Explorer. I find it strange that K&N came out with an air charger that didn't meet the strict California laws second. There isn't any difference in performance output between the two. I assume that any air charger kit for an 06 and later Explorer/Sport Trac works for an 09 as well. Anyone have any experience choosing between the two or knowledge to shed? Thanks.

Hey Ken, I put the 57-2573('07 & '08 Explorer) on my '08 Trac. The plastic intake tube doesn't transfer as much heat energy compared to the 63 series. Plus, by being able to mold the plastic, K&N could optimize air flow through it for a slight gain in horsepower. Its a straight bolt in kit. The only trouble I had was with the intake support tube bracket. Once attached to the engine, it was a little difficult to bolt the tube to it. Makes a difference and it sounds really good when you mash the throttle! My reccomendation is to also contact Todd Z. and get one of his oversized throttle bodies. Let the games begin, Bob :banana:

If you check K&N's website you will find that very few if any of their Cone style filters are CARB approved. I think that saying they are CARB exempt is a bit misleading. The reason they are CARB exempt is because the are designed for Off-Road use only.

Years ago when I owned my 2 Sport Trac's I spoke with one of their marketing people at K&N about why Ford dealers were denying warranty service if they saw the Sport Trac was equipped with a K&N filter. She was supprised since they were making Blue filters specifically for Ford, but she did say that the Cone style filters were designed for off-road use, and that is probably why Ford was questioning they use on street driven vehicles.

Ford, and other auto-makers have found that the filter oil can contaminate the MAF sensors and cause CEL's. Of course, Ford, does not even like the stock replacement K&N drop-in filters, but I never had any problems with mine.

So, when K&N says their filters are CARB exempt, it probably only means that the filter (series of filters) are designed for Off-Road use only.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: