Can't get brakes to bleed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Willis

Reaction score
I put new brakes and calibers on front and back, now the peddle goes clear to the floor when I start the truck. I have bled all 4 brakes and the master cylinder. but still no brakes. So far I am on my 3rd can of brake fluid just bleeding them. any ideas what is wrong?

If you let the master cylinder go to low or empty. You still have air in the system.Since the fluid also go's thru the ABS module. There can be alot of air. You may have to try bleeding with the key on. To activate the ABS module(that is just a guess).

Double check all bleeders. Make sure they are seating

Did you install the calipers correctly? I have seen more than one person put the calipers on so that the bleeder screw is pointing down instead of pointing up.

Eddie is probably right....sounds like you may have let the master cylinder reservoir run dry and it sucked in some air.

Also, be sure you bleed the brakes from the furthest wheel from the master cylinder to the closest. That would be:

1. Right rear

2. Left rear

3. Right Front

4. Left Front

Also, make sure all your hoses and connections to the calipers are tight so they are not sucking air also?

...Rich

Are you sure you put the calipers on the proper side left on left an right on right.. I have had many vehicles come into the shop where people do it themselves at home an put the calipers on the wrong sides

Robert,

I think that is what l1tech is talking about. If you put the right side caliper on the left side and the left side caliper on the right side you will end up with the calipers on upside-down and the bleeder screw is on the bottom...and air will remain trapped in the top of the caliper.

Of course many calipers are marked with L or R, to prevent that problem?

...Rich

Actually had this happen to me and felt like such a dumb ass. Couldn't figure out why i couldn't get my brakes bleed properly. Turns out the front calipers the bleed screw was on the bottom, instead of top, once i switched it around. Bleeding actually worked. :smack:

kcirtap,

Happened to me too...many years ago in Germany. I purchased an older used VW Variant Wagon which had a braking problem and I could not get the brakes bled? Took the car to a local German mechanic who showed me that someone had replaced the driver side caliper with a passenger side caliper and the bleed screw was at the bottom....can't get the air out. I had two right front calipers installed????

His trick was to remove the caliper, insert a block of wood to act as a spacer for the rotor, turn the caliper bleeder screw up and bleed the brake, remove the block of wood and install the caliper back in the upside-down position the way it was originally installed. Caliper worked fine and my car passed inspection....:grin:

Depending upon the mounting bolts and where the brake hose is mounted to the caliper, not all vehicles allow the calipers to be mounted on the wrong side, and almost impossible to mount them upside-down.

...Rich

:supercool: Richard on the block of wood. I saw this video a few weeks back and they did the same thing. On a General Lee! (4:50min mark)...This video will definitely help someone out for a pedal going to the floor:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts