Can't drive 55? 65? 75? How about 85?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can't drive 55? 65? 75? How about 85?

A stretch of Texas highway may soon be the first road in the country to have a posted 85 mph speed limit.

The Texas Department of Transportation said this week that part of a toll road being built between Austin and San Antonio will be tested to see if motorists can safely push it to 85.

"It was designed under extremely high design parameters," Darren McDaniel, the state's Speed Management Director told WOAI radio.

Texas and Utah are the only states with 80-mph limits on some roadways. But Texas turned heads when lawmakers gave the green light to go to 85 if needed.

"The higher the speed limit, the more accidents there are, the more injuries and the more deaths," Jerry Johns, president of the Southwest Insurance Information Institute, told Reuters last year.

Eighty-five mph would be the second-highest posted speed limit in the world, according to the European auto rental firm Rhino Car Hire, Reuters reported. Some roads in Poland reportedly allow speeds of about 86 mph.

Texas hopes the faster toll road will help relieve one of the country's most congested interstates, between Austin and San Antonio.

"It's in a straight, flat area," TxDOT spokesman Mark Cross told Yahoo. "Safety is a priority. We want to make sure people understand that."

Oh man, I can already see Eddie going "out of his way". :driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
funny i think if i remember in Germany the autobahn has no speed limit and i haven`t heard of on problems with it, but the roads are a lot better and people know how to drive at those speeds.

just my two cents.

don`t get me started about other overseas countries.

thanks

hdt

USN 17+ years

Oh man, I can already see Eddie going "out of his way".

Steve, I do that anyway. When I go up to moms @ the lake...LOL

If I dont the red neck socker moms in there suburbans and tahoes. Wouldrun over me..LOL

hdt,

You are correct that there are parts of the Autobahn in Germany that have no posted speed limit...but in closer proximity to larger cities with more traffic congestion, there are speed limits.

I believe that the toll road in Austin goes past the new Formula One racing circuit that will host it's first F1 race in late October or early November of this year. The circuit is still under construction, but I will be going down to the San Antonio area next weekend and plan on taking a side trip to see the progress on the racing circuit.

I think most of the toll roads in Texas are privately owned and operated....so perhaps they are able to set their own speed limits? Most of the Interstates have just had their speed limits increased to 75 MPH within the past year, but the areas around the larger cities and towns is still reduced to about 65 MPH and in some areas down to 55-60 MPH.

In reallity, most people in Texas drive about 5 MPH over the speed limit and as long as you don't exceed the speed limit by more than 10%, most police won't bother you. The fines are much smaller and not worth their time...But when you exceed the speed limit by more than 10% the fines go up sharply. Go 72 MPH in a 60 MPH zone and you can expect to pay a fine of about $250-$275

It is odd that this new Austin - San Antonio would have an 85 MPH speed limit since it is designed to take a lot of the traffic off I-35 in one of the most congested highways in Texas...and not just during Rush Hour? Most of that congestion is created by the number of 18 wheelers on I-35 since it is one of the busiest north-south interstates with a lot of trucks coming out of Mexico. I don't think that 18 wheelers or big buses are allowed on the toll roads, so that alone will improve the safety.

...Rich

that's fast... of course it will ease congestion.. cause there's not "walk away" wrecks... just bury them and over time, there will be less and less

but really.. it's going to be hard to text, talk on the cell AND drive 95 MPH (10 over posted )

Psssst....I am wispering this so it doesn't get out....We recently moved to Arizona. The highest posted limit I have driven is 75 mph. In az no one drives the posted limit. Shush up now. I have been passed while rolling down the highway at speeds in excess of 85. As they say "like I was standin still" Another anomoly here in Az is that no one stops for red lights. I mean ya gotta be super careful when pulling out from a red light cuz there is always one or two that keep right on rolling thru. Kinda adds to the fun side of drivin...:banana:

Latest posts