Can't decide ... thinking of trading to F-150

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Stewart

Reaction score
Anyone here own a F-150 that's also owned the ST. I like my ST and it's good, but dang that F-150's nice and some nice deals to be had right now. I'm on the fence ... anyone willing to provide some insight to push me off that fence regardless of which side I fall? :)

With $3/gal gas and going up, that would be an easy decision for me. Guess it would be different if you needing something to tow heavy loads the Trac can't safely handle.

I'd say it really depends on what you're going to use it for. I have a family of 5, but on occasion I haul some firewood, so the Trac is perfect. If, on the other hand, I towed a big tool trailer or boat or something, and on occasion I put the wife and kids in the truck, the F-150 would be better. If it's only a matter of style, I'd vote the ST all the way. I like the F-150, but there are so many of them. The Trac is much more unique and personal for me.

I had a '98 f-150 4x4 with a 5.4,was a hoss!!Would pass everything on the road except a gas station,and with a 27gal. gas tank oh boy!! thats:eek: why i got our trac--21mpg is better than 15mpg

My brother bought a new F-150 last year. It is nice, but it seems too big to me after getting used to my Trac. If I were going to get one I would go to the F-250 just to get the powerstroke.

Thanks for the thoughts. As far as the gas mileage, I understand 15 is in town driving for the 150 ... the 21 for our ST is for highway driving cuz I know I've read on here where most on this site don't even come close to that for city driving, more like 14-16 mpgs is what I've seen. So, it seems like the gas mileage isn't that much different for jumping up to a V8, but I hope someone can verify this for me.

So, with gas credit card for $1K, 0% financing, rebate, new styling, and a quieter ride ... I have thought of test driving one. You're right though, it is considerably larger but I've never driven one so don't know yet how I'll like/dislike it. Thanks for the inputs, however, I'm still teetering on that fence :) Still waiting for that convincing nudge, lol.

Hello Ken,

I owned an 01 and an 03 ST 4x4 fully loaded. I now have an 05 F150 Supercrew 4x4 fully loaded.

Mileage 01 ST avg 17 mpg, highway 20 mpg, city 13 mpg

Mileage 03 ST avg 18 mpg, highway 21 mpg, city 14 mpg

Mileage 05 F150 avg 14 mpg, higway 18 mpg, city 13 mpg.

I personally went to the F150 because I needed more room in my box to haul around soil samples. I was just running out of room in the ST.

Pros of F150 - room, so much more room everywhere, 4x4 ability is better then that of the ST (muddy fields/trails/roads), the interior on a loaded one is really nice, a step up from the ST I feel. Insurance dropped a couple of hundred bucks.

Cons of F150, mileage is less, I am putting 110 cnd (97 US) into the fuel tank at a time and it doesn't take me much further than the ST did for less money.

PARKING, this thing is a monster, finding parking spots in the city can be a real problem. Underground parking garages in many places cause me antenna to scrape along the ceiling, plus turning in them is an issue as well. (the back-up sensors on the F150 are a must have)

That is all that I can think of from the top of my head. Like I said, the only reason I went to this bigger unit was because I needed the room. If I didn't need my truck for work I would be driving a car (a TDI jetta or something). If I hadn't needed the extra room I would likely have stuck with the ST. It is more of a happy medium for someone that doesn't need all the room that a full size has.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I have to drive me F150 very carefully compared to the ST to even get that mileage. Slow starts, keeping the RPM under 2000, not speeding. I got after ST a lot more and still had the mileage figures that I posted above. Any sort of headwind and you get city mileage figures on the highway. I drive about 75% highway 25% city/offroad. I could always get the ST around that 20 mark on the highway, but with the F150 all conditions must be right to get the 18 mpg. The best mileage I ever got out of the F150 was 19.5 MPG. That was one trip in the 35,000 miles I have put on this vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need a really big rebate to offset the depreciation your '05 ST has taken since you bought it. If you financed your truck you are probably at least $5,000 upside down on that loan.

Great info Olaf, thanks. Nelson, I owe about what I could get retail, and about 2K less looks like from trade. Local dealers are offering good rebates in addition to the 2500 from Ford so I may be in a decent situation. Olaf may have given me the nudge I needed to stick with the ST though.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've owned my 5.4 super crew 4x4 for over 2 years and 34k miles, i steped up for the extra interior room the trac did not offer me, not for towing or loads. i hardly carry anything but me most of the time. MPG is better or dead on with what i got with my '01 4x4 ST. city with the f-150 is 14-15 and i'm not light on it. and highway is a good 18-20mpg.

size is somthing i never got used to with my ST, i was coming from a fullsize '98 Expy and it just felt small compared to that. i feel right at home with the super crew, even in the crowed parking lots or parking down town.

its all about your needs and wants, think about them..then i'm sure you'll make the right choice for you, whatever that choice is. :)

Note that Screw'iffic has the older style F150, not the new one. His weighs less and therefore likely gets better mileage.

Olaf is right... the new F150 weighs 800 (!) lbs more than the old model, so mpg is adversely impacted.

Latest posts