Cannot turn OVERDRIVE off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OFF TRAC

Reaction score
I have a 2002 automatic ST and yesterday when I was going to turn off the OD the OD/OFF light did not light up nor did the OD deactivate. I haven't had any prior or current sluggish shifting, no 2-3 flair or check engine light. I had the "blinking light of death" only once around 45,000 miles ago and a oil change took care of that. I do recall OD and OD/off light working as resent as 7000 miles ago. I've checked the transmisison oil, looks good and is at approrpate level. I also noticed yesterday that the the OD/Off light does not turn on along with the other lights that cycle on/off when you place the key in the ignititon and turn the ST on.

Anyone have similar experiance, any ideas ? Bad relay, fuse, broken wire :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Edit---changed message title to reflect actual problem I have

Last edited by a moderator:
Start up your trac. Set the parking brake. Place trac in reverse. Let foor off of brake. Does it move? If not, get out of the vehicle and check your back-up lights.

Are they working? If no...replace your back-up light fuse.

You OD on/off switch will now start working.

Tom

Thanks for the info Cayman, during lunch I actually tried that and I found out that it's a broken wire. I accidently pulled the OD Switch/handle off the shift lever while attempting to shift the ST out of Park. One of the two cables that connects to the OD switch is broken. Guess a family friend/member may have accidently pulled the switch/handle off.

Anyone have any idea on how to repair it? By the looks of things the cable broke from inside the handle/Switch, can't seem to be able to pull on any wire slack out of the switch or lever to solder/tape or add more wire to connect back the broken wire.

Would I need to open the stearing colum area and/or get a new OD switch ?

Thanks again once more for any info/insight.

The backup lights are connected to the overdrive switchy thing?!?!????:blink:

AAHhh That would explain why my rear window switch keeps causing the horn to blow when I adjust the left rear view mirror.........now I understand

brianC, there are things like that on the ST. If your horn goes out your cruise won't work. On my F150 I won't be able to get it into drive if one of my taillights burns out. Fun stuff. Make sure you read your manual.