Can someone educated me on the evap canister....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Chio

Reaction score
and how it keeps me from filling up my tank all the way. When the gas pump "clicks" the gas gauge reads full. But, after driving about a mile to my home, shutting off the Trac, then turning it back on it reads 3/4 tank. Is it the canister or could it be a line problem? I have searched and searched but haven't found a similar post. Any advice or a helpful link would be extremely appreciated.

Probably not and evap canister problem. Some Sport Trac's are very hard to fill. You have to hold the nozzle and drickle the gas in very slowly after the pump shuts off. The fact that it only shows 3/4 tank may be more of a problem with the accuracy of your gas gauge. Also, different gas pumps trigger the shut off sooner than others. I have gone to stations where you could never run the pump at full blast as it would immediately shut off...so much of the problem is in the variations of the pump nozzle. Try different gas stations or different pumps.

It is not recommended that you over fill your tank since that can damage the evap canister, but I did it when I wanted to get an accurate MPG reading.

I think Ford only recommend that you fill the tank until the pump automatically shuts off twice as a normal fillup.

...Rich

I always fill mine up with the front of the truck facing downhill. It I fill it on level ground or with the front facing up, It wont fill it completely. (I filled it today and it was $60.00... Geesh)

If you can't properly fill your tank with fuel then without a doubt you have a problem with the evap system. Most of the times it is a clogged filter in the evap canistor vent line..surprisingly enough when they are plugged enough to the point that they will kick the pump off you can still easily blow through it, it's a very touchy system.

But I still find myself being able to add an additional 5 gallons after it clicks. Then the gauge reads full for a longer period of time (I guess as it should).

So is it safe to assume that this is a common problem with the Trac? Can I take the Evap Canister off, disassemble it, clean it, and reassemble it to call it good? What's the fix here?

I don't think it's common. I don't do anything special when putting in gas, and I haven't ever had this problem in 8 years of use. The canister is easily accessed after lowering and removing the spare tire. Two screws on the mounting.

Carlos,

I have had two Gen1 Sport Tracs, and both were a little hard to fill with gas. The gas pumps always shut off too early and I could always add 3-5 gallons of fuel after the pump shut off. If I took my time I could put 23 gallons into a 20.5 gallon tank !!! This has always been a common problem and I doubt that yours is any different.

As for cleaning out the evap canister: I don't think they are repairable. They are filled with a charcoal substance and there is not much too them accept for the internal valving. I think they are sealed and attempting to open one would probably just ruin it.

The evap system is monitored by the computer, so if you are not getting a CEL I would guess that your evap system is working fine, and you are experiencing the same problems that other Gen1 owners have experience. Gas fills fine for about 3/4 of a tank, and then suddenly it becomes a very slow chore to fill it completely.

Also rember that you cannot always go by the gas gauge...they are notorious for being inaccurate.

...Rich

The issue with the evap vents is totally dependant on the conditions you drive in. I have had brand new vehicles come in with clogged vents. You will find the vent filter in the vent hose that leads away from the evap canistor, it is usually a larger hose and will only pass through a filter and then lead to nowhere...depending on how Ford felt that day it is usually in a plastic box or sometimes in a long cylinder that also incorporates the vent solenoid.

Latest posts