Can my ST do it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wand

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm one of the many lurkers on this site that you don't hear from very often. I've searched the old messages and didn't find an answer to a question I've got. I need to transport a gift from my mother (an '86 Trans Am) from Oklahoma to Chicago (750-800 miles). I've read all the previous posts regarding towing and it seems the first responce is something to do with trailer brakes. I don't need help or advise on that just yet. My question right now is: Would I harm my ST if I were to trailer this gift that distance? Or should I try to use a more towing capable vehicle? Any feedback from the experienced trailer towing ST drivers would be great.

Thanks,

Jim W.

The trip between Oklahoma and Chicago is over fairly flat ground, I think. I don't think you will have any problems if your Trac is in good shape. If your transmission is a little sluggish, your suspension is loose, or your brakes are grinding, you might want to see about getting things fixed up before your trip.

How are you towing the TA? Are you looking to rent a trailer or tow dolly? The tow dolly will work and weigh less than the trailer, but you'll have to pull the driveshaft out of the TA for a tow that far. Also, renting from U-Haul may be impossible, since they have a problem with Ford Explorers.

I towed a Ford Contour 1,000 miles from Houston to Knoxville. Although that car only weighs about 2500 lbs, Knoxville has some fairly steep highways. Our Trac pulled it without a struggle. You brakes are going to be stopping two vehicles, so remember to maintain a long space between you and any cars in front of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vehicle weight is about 3500 lbs, so you should be in good shape.

If your mom is including a trailer, I would be willing to tow the vehicle (for a nominal fee of course to cover gas and wear and tear on my vehicle) to Mt Vernon, IL (where I-64 and I-57 meet). I am leaving OKC on 23 Jul to go to Lexington, KY. I will be passing through Mt Vernon that evening. I wouldn't be willing to tow the empty trailer back to Ky and back to OKC though.

Thanks dreman,

I haven't decided on trailer/tow dolly yet. I just started to finding out and pricing all my options.

Nelson,

I appriciate the very generous offer, but no there is no trailer included in the gift. Plus I think the offer is also to get me to go down and visit for a while. I think I can handle that part of the deal. Also, thanks for the web link.

Thanks again,

Jim W.

Jim, my family and I took a trip a few months ago from central Florida to mid-Georiga, pulling a pop-up camper. Except for when we encounted rain (and the road had standing water) I really could not feel the extra weight. One thing that makes a big difference is tire pressure on the trailer. Use the max air pressure using the trailers tires specs--this greatly reduces tow load and saves the trailer tires from over heating. You'll need trailer brakes at that weight.

What condition is the TA in? Is it in good enough condition to drive? If convenient for you, and the TA is in good shape, I would consider finding alternate transportation to go get it and drive it back. Just an alternative to consider :)

And if you drive it back, the trip may help you decide what you finally decide to do with (like maybe not keep it after all after spending all that money for gas to feed the big V8 LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Uncle Bob is right! Then you could just drop it off at my house in Missouri and I would take it off your hands for $100 and save you the trouble!

What color is it? How's it equipped? Got any rust?

I WANT ONE!!!

If he keeps his foot out of it, the TA will probably get better mileage than his Trac does. It will obviously get better mileage than the Trac towing the TA. If he can't keep his foot out of it, gas mileage will be gone!

I have a 88 formula with a 383 stroker and ram air. I would much rather drive the bird than the trac! I will take you to see her, get the car and drive you back and not charge you like all these others that don't want to help you out. You don't even have to pay for my gas to get back home....

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

We're getting a little off topic, but, as far as the TA is concerned: My mother has owned it for the last 10-12 years driving it very little, but keeping up on regular maintenance. It is white with normal wear and tear from being approx. 20 years old (all of the problems that I know about are all minor cosmetic problems), but for the most part in decent condition.

I would drive it back, but my mother doesn't sound very confident about the car making that kind of trip for some reason. I will be having a trusted mechanic I know here check it over real well when I get it here though. I appreciate all of you offering to take this car off my hands for me, but I think it will be my new toy/fun weekend car. As for keeping my foot off the gas...LOL...yeah sure...LOL...that'll happen...LOL.

Brandon, thanks for the offer, but I already have a couple of riding buddies for the trip (the wife is two months away from giving me my first child, so she's not going).

Thanks again to everyone,

Jim W.

Latest posts