Can I do this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
So, a local shop recommends this particular set up for my rig. They will install it for a couple hundred, but I gotta buy the kit.:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/15696/10002/-1

My question is, never doing anything like this, and not able to go more than 2 days without a rig, can I do this in my garage? I have tools, and am willing to buy what I need. What are the risks if I screw up the installation?

I just want to see if I can save a couple hundred, or is it worth having them do it?

I can't seem to find any muffler shop to return any emails, and I have worked with these mechanics before and they do great work.

You should be able to do that yourself and then just take it to a muffler shop if you want it welded. Show up in person, most shops don't do well with email in my experience. They get bombed with stupid kids with no money asking how much stuff is

What is the benifit of welding over what I understand is just clamping on?

I checked the project section and found one for an exhaust upgrade done without a lift, so I am thinking I just may do it myself.

Welding I feel is better long term (just me), do it yourself, clamp it in place, go to any muff shop and have them put a few tack welds on the joints, spray the welds with aluminized paint. will be good to go for a long time.

No shop should charge more than 50 bux to tack them.

My shop only charged me $50 to clamp the same kit on my '04. Took 20 minutes...

I dont have any leaks with clamps. That way when I sell, I can put it back to stock and sell the kit..

If you go with the weld and it is not entirely stainless steel, meaning the pipes, muffler and the weld, then I STRONGLY recommend that you paint the joints with a high temp paint once they cool down. If you do it every 4 months or so, it will prolong the life of the welded area by years...

Jerry, if you can hold a wrench you can install this system. The hardest part of this install will be taking off the old system. Even that shouldn't be that hard due to the fact it's flanged. I'm sure the bolts to that flanged connection are rusted solid, you can do two things to make life easy for yourself. Before you start on the exhaust apply rust penetrate on the nuts every night until your ready to put the new exhaust on. Also if you have a blue wrench (torch) this would help.

The Magnaflow exhaust pipes are made out of 409S/S and the muffler is made out of 304S/S They do this to save money but the system should last a good many years. I wouldn't weld the system the clamps should be more than sufficient, but to improve the sealing you can put a little muffler cement on the pipes to make it a nice tight seal.

I would also look on eBay for this system, you may save some bucks. Make us proud and do it yourself. Save the extra $50.00 or $100.00 for something else.

For what it's worth, I bought a muffler and tips and brought them to a local shop, and they installed everything and custom bent the pipe I needed for $180. If it were me, I would save a few hundred dollars and not buy the kit from Jegs.

thanks everyone, as always a wealth of knowledge here! I am going to see if I can get this for under the 450+ that Jegs wants and do the install myself. Will do a write up perhaps!

Edit - I can't find anything less that 453.44, even on ebay. This bad boy is expensive! Anyone got any advice or where I can find one cheaper? Still gonna get it, just gulpin at the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Performance Peddler and make them an offer. Shipping is free and they do negotiate...

Thanks again guys! :cool: I will be checking both sites.

Edit - Performance Peddler will go down to as low as 325, I like that! I will have to keep these guys in mind from now on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts