Can Fog Lts. be aimed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Gullan

Reaction score
I would like to aim my factory fog lights at something other than the ground. Are the 07 and up Sport Tracs rectangular fog lights adjustable?

All factory fog lights are useless, there is no point in turning them on since they only light up the ground 6ft in front of the vehicle.

If the tip of your bulb is painted, try to find bulbs that are not painted, so you can have driving lights which shine down the road :banana:

RedRanger 7,

Fog lights are very effective in fog and are designed to put out a flat wide beam so as to avoid blinding the driver with the glare or their own headlights reflecting off the fog. The worst thing to do when driving in fog is to turn on your bright lights or any long distance lighting.

Fog lights are not driving lights and neither are interchangable.

Fog lights are also great for illuminating the sides of the road when you are driving in dark rural areas where the edges of the pavement are not well defined especially when you have to dim your high beams for oncoming traffic...you can still see the right edge of the road.

If you think that the fog lights are worthless, it's because you don't use them right, and think they should be driving lights.

...Rich

Fog lights are not driving lights and neither are interchangable

Mine are on my '04. They work great for driving and fogs. I have them wired to stay on with brights. When I get out in the country or dark city streets. I love the extra illumination. They also have an up and down adjustment knob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good weather or bad weather, fog lights cause glare for oncoming drivers.

There are a lot of other drivers out there trying to get around at night wishing people would save their fog lights for use in the fog. On rainy nights the glare is amplified by the water on the road making it even harder for older people people with glasses or people who have had cataract surgery. In the 1980s and into the 90s people would be issued tickets for having unnecesarry lights turned on.

People buy their vehicles turn the fog light switch on and never turn it off again. They dont have a clue how useless they are, you are susposed to look down the road when you drive not down at the pavement 6ft in front of your vehicle when your driving 50mph, and your not looking at the grass on the side of the road either.

Turn them off and save them for the FOG.

Im a professional driver at night,the headlights on vehicles are much better than they used to be.

UPDATE~ 07 & up are adjustable. Look underneath where they plug in. There are 3 black mounting points. inside these mounts are torx stule adjuster bolts! I took my lights out first to get a better look at them. I'm glad I did- all 3 adjusters on both lights were siezed. After letting them soak w/penetrating oil all bolts came out, got cleaned up on the wire wheel, and anti siezed before going back togather. As soon as it gets dark I'll adjust them. I find it quite useless to light up the ground 5ft in front of the truck & the right side ditch....

Fog lights are not designed to light up the road in front of you more than about 20 ft. They are designed to project a low, flat, wide beam to light up the edges of the road. It's assumed that if it is foggy, you will not be driving very fast and the wide beam is designed to keep you in your lane. The old rule applies here: Don't out drive your headlights.

I'm not sure why people insist on using Fog Lights as if they were Driving Lights and then complain that they don't project far enough down the road??? Fog lights will never be a satisfactory subsitute for driving lights and raising the beam of fog lights only blinds oncoming traffic.

..Rich

Sometimes when I'm feeling ornery and people drive around with fog lights on unnecessarily, I sometimes flip mine on so I can be just as cool (mine are improperly aimed currently as well).

People buy their vehicles turn the fog light switch on and never turn it off again. They dont have a clue how useless they are,

I totally disagree. The fogs on my '04 fill in the blanks. That the crappy oem gen1 headlights, dont light up. From the front to where the main headlights land. Oh yea I know how to aim lights.

Turn them off and save them for the FOG

They arent worth a crap for fogs. I have them aimed down some, from factory setting. so they dont glare in the fog.

Im a professional driver at night,the headlights on vehicles are much better than they used to be.

Some headlights of new design, for styling, are not as good as the first, halogen sealed beams.

Did it ever cross your professional mind. That there are people that need extra night lighting. Because of thier vision problems. The same as those that have problems with too much light. Thanks for the profesional lecture.

Or we could let you choose who should stay off the road. Those that need the extra light or those that dont.

I'd rather be facing fog lights than those blue bulbs or projector lights.

Gavin,,amen to that. I have rode in cars with the bright blues. I dont see how the driver actually can see. I couldnt as a passenger. I think it must be the cool factor. There is a brand called cool blues.LOL

I find the old driver hand book rule. Of looking to the right, works well. Strange that hasnt been said. Its' always easier to gripe about what you think you know. About everyone elses vision.

Peace from, Mr. clueless

Eddie,

All lights cause glare in fogeven fog lights. The low, wide beam of fog lights is only to light the edges of the road. The higher the beam and brighter the light the more glare they will create. Thats why high beams should never be used in the fog and the brighter aftermarket bulbs are worse. If you get too much glare, then you should lower the aim of the fog lights.but never aim them higher to see further down the road.

The other use of Fogs is not that they let the driver see better, but they allow other drivers to see you, without blinding yourself. My Mercedes has a European style rear fog light which is switch that increases the brightness of the drivers side taillight so people coming up from behind will be able to see your vehicle ahead from a greater distance.

Another part of the problem with most fog lights on American cars is they are white lights. It has been proven in Europe that amber /yellow light gives better contrast in foggy conditions.similar to how an amber/yellow lens on a camera or eye glasses improves contrast visibility in hazy environments. (like the amber lenses on BluBlocker sunglasses that block the long wave blue light and improve contrast an vision)

I think most people in the US like to use their fogs in conjunction with their headlights to illuminate the edges of the road at night and the fog lights do a great job. I even do that at night on particularly dark stretches of Texas back roads and even on some interstate highways, especially with all the construction, concrete barriers, and little or no lane markers. It feels more comfortable to be able to see the edges of the road when its pitch dark outside and to be able to see wild animals lurking along the sides of the road.

Speaking of wild animalsA few weeks ago I was driving down I-35 between Dallas and Waco about 1:00am when I saw a cougar/mountain lion run across the road about 75 yards in front of my vehicle. Then just yesterday, I saw what appeared to be a grey wolf or a very large coyote standing alongside the road in broad daylight, just about 4 miles from my house both sightings are very unusual around here.

Rich

Rich,

I have the round fogs on my '04. They only aim up and down. No side to side. They actualy light up more than the sides of the road.

With my night vision problem. Im glad my Trac came with them.

I dont drive in fog unless I have to.

I will take a pic from the driver seat, on a very dark road. One with fogs on and one with out. It will show how much better the whole road is lit for me.

It has actually helped me from running over little kids. On my street. I have alot of families (hispanic I hate to say). They dont watch their kids and toddlers. I have actualy had toddlers run out from behind parked cars @ 10pm. 15 foot in front of me. Thank God for my fogs on. Speed limit on my sreet is 30. I never do over 20. These same families let their toddlers ride tricycles. In the street, While the parents are sitting in the driveway, drinking beer. They give motorist dirty looks. When you try to get around their kids. I stoped one time and asked them to get the 3yr old out of the street. So have some of my imediate neighbors. It is always no comprende englesh. I have wondered if they are looking a lawsuit or insurance payday...

My house is in a 62yr old subdivsion. 70% of these houses are being bought up by multiple families. With more cars that stay parked and dont run, than do. Also being multple families. I wonder where all the kids sleep. I have seen 4 families in one 3 bedroom house. If I had the $$$, I would move.

I know all this sounds racist and like excuses for my fogs on. But truth is what it is.

The one thing I realy like the way mine light up the road, is. After I leave the highway. It is about a 15mile trek. Through the, dark east texas piney woods, to Moms house. As I said before my fogs light up from the edge of the road and all of the frontal dark gap. That the headlights miss.

I agree a true fog light should have an amber lens.

IMO, what the manufactors are calling fogs. Are really driving lights.

:soap:

Eddie,

I am not disagreeing with you that fog lights work great for lighting up the road immediately infront of the vehicle and the whole width of the road. I also understand your night vision problem as I have the same issues as well as some loss of my periferal vision.

Yes, you can aim your fog lights higher or lower, but the higher they are aimed the more they will tend to blind oncoming traffic.

The Sport Trac fog lights are by no means driving lights, but there are many aftermarket lights available that claim to be fog lights but the package will describe how much further down the road you can see with them??? That is a driving light, not a fog light.

The way you use your Fog lights is to fill in the area just in front of the vehicle with a wide beam of light which lets you see the whole width of the road where your headlights do not cover. I agree, I do the same thing with my Mercedes fog lights on those dark Texas back roads. My point is that Fog lights are not driving lights and that aiming them too high can blind oncoming traffic as well as making them useless as fog lights since the glare will also blind you if there is fog.

Fortunately, most areas of the US have less Fog problems than they do in Europe. I lived in Europe for 8.5 years and I am very familiar with driving in fog and fog lights. I doubt that I have had to use my fog lights during foggy weather more than a few times over the past 10 years, but like you, I do use my Fogs when driving on dark road where the edges of the road are not very visible using just headlights....again, it's our old age and the reduction of our night vision:grin:

My gripe is with the people who use fog lights or parking lights instead of headlights, or even no lights when it's dark or foggy but they will have the fog lights on in bright sunlight..:angry:

...Rich

Gavin,

Great article and very true...especially the part "Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather"

In Germany and most European countries, it is illegal to use fog lights with high beams, but you must use your low beams in conjunction with Fog lights or Driving lights. If your Fog or Driving lights do not go off when the high beam headlights are on, you will not pass their safety inspections. I think France is the only country that allows for yellow/amber or white headlights on vehicles because of the fog issues in Europe.

I was once stationed with the 37th Transportation Group in Kaiserslautern, Germany. That unit was once stationed in Orlean, France and all of our semi trailers were required to have reflective white bumpers. When the unit was relocated to Germany in the early 1960 we kept the reflective white bumpers as a safety enhansement. Many US Army inspectors were often questioning the authority for our vehicles to have white bumpers since we were the only unit in Germany that was allowed to deviate from US Army standards for vehicle markings...:grin:

...Rich

Rich,

I supose I have my fogs and headlights aimed low enough. I never get high beam bliped by anyone. Letting me know they are blinded. I first found out fogs were to high, when. Following my sister. She phoned me and asked me to turn them off.

When we got where we were going. I crawled under and lowered them. They were set from ford. On return trip. I had them on. At the same distance she told me they were good now. She was driving Moms Grand Marquis, thats sits fairly low.

Overall, I was kinda cranking a response to the profesional driver. That you cant judge and lump everyone into the same box.:bwahaha:

My intentions arent to light up a stadium. Or the length of a football feild. But able to see safely @ any speed.

What blinds me is. The newer chevy trucks with the headlights mounted high (hood level). They put High powered wattage hid, projector or especialy the high wattage blues. Im in a truck and blinded. I can imagine how bad it is on car drivers. Looking to the right barely helps. If you blip your brights. They blip back, and they are on low beam. I bet they could lower them and still see good. Its the cool factor, with the younger crowd mostly. Especialy the blues. As I said, I have been a passenger in a car with blues. Give me white light.

Some headlights have been subject to style. Instead of focus. One personal example is. My ex's '01 escape headlights were much better than the restyle of her '08 escape. The '08 scattered the light, to almost unusable IMO.

There go my statement that not all new headlights are better. Than the old halogen sealed beams.

Latest posts