Camping Time Again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal Kyer

Reaction score
Hey all. My girlfiend and I are thinkin of buying a travel trailer for this summer. I was just wondering the sizes of trailers you all are towing with your ST's. I have a 4x4 v6 01 ST. The travel trailer we like is 26ft. and weighs about 4600lbs. I live in iowa so more than likely no mountains. I was wanting to know how something like that pulls

Tanner, I noticed yours is a "Lite".

Mine was older, early 90's. At 7500 pounds, it must have been obese!

I pulled it with my 97 Expo 4x4 with the big V-8 with, obviously, with no problem.

They've come a long way in lightening the load of RV's in general. Which is a good thing, especially for us. :)

Jerry..

mine is only 9 ft tall, and 7.5 ft wide, so it is smaller dimensionally also. the length makes it a dream to tow... (long tongue)...

I pull a 22' Aerolite. Weighs in ready for camping at 4100lb. Just be careful that you calculate the loaded weight and not the dry weight that the dealer will try to show you. The loaded weight is with all of your stuff, plus whatever the manufacturer calls an option. This can easily add 1000 lb to the dry weight. With a good Equlizer BRAND hitch, a brake controller and keeping it under 5000lbs loaded weight, you should be fine. I DO know my trailer is back there, but it's not a handfull to drive either....

I tow a Rockwood 1610 popup camper. I used to pull it with a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 V6 4x4, so the Sport Trac is more that needed for the task. By having such a small camper, I have full range of vehicle options in the future with gas prices being uncertain.

The specs are:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 2,287 lbs. (1037 kg)

Base/Dry Unit Weight 1,574 lbs. (714 kg)

Base/Dry Hitch Weight 187 lbs. (85 kg)

Base/Dry Axle Weight 1,387 lbs. (629 kg)

Cargo Capacity 525 lbs. (238 kg)

Box Size 8 ft. (2.44 m)

Trailer Size (Closed)- Includes Hitch 14 ft. (4.27 m)

Height (Closed) 57 in. (1.45 m)

Trailer Length (Open) 17 ft. (5.18 m)

Interior Height (Open) 6 ft. 6 in. (1.98 m)

Travel Width 85 in. (2.16 m)

Tire Size 12 in. (30 cm)

Latest posts