Camaro Concept Revealed at Detroit Auto Show

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
With the debut of this and the Dodge Challenger concept, it looks like the ponycar wars are on again! No worries, Mustang will still come out on top!:cool:

SOURCES: Chevy Camaro Will Go Into Production By 2009 After Hugely Successful Concept Debut

Date posted: 01-09-2006

DETROIT — The Camaro is back…if only in concept form. But it may be in your driveway by 2009.

General Motors scored a major hit with the world's automotive press on Monday, unveiling a stunning reborn version of the classic Chevy Camaro nameplate, but this time with 400 horsepower, 30 miles per gallon on the highway and — most famously — a totally new look.

Camaro loyalists should be even more pleased to hear, according to unofficial word from GM suppliers, that the company plans to revive production of the Camaro in early 2009. GM reportedly plans to build a version of the car on the so-called Zeta Lite platform, which itself is an evolution of the rear-drive Pontiac GTO chassis and should easily accommodate the small-block V8.

GM says the Camaro concept pays homage to the original 1967 Camaro with nods to aircraft like the YF-22 to make it "instantly recognizable as an all-new car."

Officials said the design features a long hood, short deck and wide stance to present a performance appearance, backed up by a 400-hp aluminum small-block V8. Surprisingly, this beast will also offer great mileage as GM's "Active Fuel Management" technology allows drivers to operate with only four of the eight cylinders during highway cruising. This technology is currently featured on GM's Chevy Impala sedan and several 2006 sport-utilities and trucks.

The unveiling was a story in itself as a local marching band led the way for a parade of classic Camaros that snaked through a massive crowd of journalists who lined up early for a good seat.

What this means to you: If you like pony cars, likely a whole lot. The muscle car is back.

Photos linked below. A few retro styling cues, but not totally retro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, sure, GM'll still be around. They're putting all their hopes in their full-size SUV's remember?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a Mustang with the Camaro shark gills put on it... :(

I doubt the production units will get the cool but useless mirrors on the concept car...

I do like the lack of wires and clutter under the hood though... :D

I do like the lack of wires and clutter under the hood though...

The engine is not a running engine, that is why it is so clean. Expect a birdsnest of wiring and plumbing under that hood if it makes production.

Tom

I think there is a very strong resemblance to the early (1967) Camaro, even though it is not as similar as the 2005 Mustang is to the 1967 version.

As for the clean looking engine compartement: That is done with plastic engine covers. Most European vehicles, and now GM vehicles have these large covers to hide all the wires, hoses and mechanical workings. So it is very likely that the production engines will have similar covers.

...Rich

As for the clean looking engine compartement: That is done with plastic engine covers. Most European vehicles, and now GM vehicles have these large covers to hide all the wires, hoses and mechanical workings. So it is very likely that the production engines will have similar covers.

Yeah, but lets not forget the ABS, Coolant, Windshield washer, Brake Reservoir ... not to mention the heating or air...or battery.

I remember seeing the 04 F150 concept with this really clean engine bay, I was like "WOW!!!"

But sure enough, it got cluttered for production.

I am a FORD fan and as a FORD fan all I can say is.....I really tried not to like it. I did. Mustang has taken some huge steps with the new chassis. But the When push comes to shove between these two (FROD and GM) We are the only winners......:D

Raserx

Latest posts