Calling all private pilots (Especially at Scott AFB)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Gotta question, I'm looking to join the aero club at Scott AFB after I get settled. I want to take flight lessons and work towards getting my private pilot's license, and I'm curious what prices would run for that kinda thing (Especially being an active duty NCO on the base), and what kinda certifications and flight time are needed. :wacko:

I have heard military flying clubs are great for offering discount rates to learn to fly. I got my private in a Cessna 172 which turned out to be about 5400 bucks.

Now let me give you this advice. I investigate accidents for the NTSB, which i am sure you will learn about. you have to be careful with the planes you rent!!!! CHeck maintenance records, make sure service bulletins and airworthiness directives were complied with, scheduled maintenance, etc. Ask your flight instructor to see his logbook, see what kind of time he/she has and in what kind of airplane. Never forget your density altitude calculations or weight and balance. If you're going somewhere semi-far, file a flight plan. If the flight school makes a big deal out of looking at the maintenance logs, that should raise a flag.

Ask about block rates too. If you buy 10 hours at a time versus paying hour by hour some places will give you discounts.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

Conrad.

Larry,

Check at the local Education Center. Many years ago, I took a Pilot's course (Ground School only) from Embry Riddle Aeronotical School. They covered aerodynamics of flight, flight rules, instumentation and a ton of navigation. Most military Education Centers have the classes, and especially on or near an airbase. It was also a lot cheaper than most commercial schools.

...Rich

I would love to direct you to the Student Pilot forum. I'm Pat Freeman on there, too. It's possible that someone on the Forum rents from there, so you can get a very accurate response. Check out my web page for my private pilot log so you can see what it involves. http://97vette.com/~pat/aviation.

The Aero Club at Scott is a good, at least when I was there in 2003. You might find cheaper lessons, but you'll probably find the quality of the plane or the instructor isn't the same. Some are comparable to Aero Clubs, but some aren't and that is not meant to slam small operators. The Aero Club stanards are high just like USAF flying.

Good luck and enjoy. :D

Larry

The GI Bill used to be able to pay for flying lessons. You definitely need to check at the Base Education Office. Be careful. We had a First Sergeant in the Commmunications Squadron at Vandenberg that crashed and died while flying out of the Aero Club there.

TA is only approved for accredited colleges. I think the Ground School is available through Embry-Riddle, but I am not sure though classes qualify. The Ed Office will know the rules. :)

Think about it, AMC Headquarters, TRANSCOM Headquarters, there's alot of HIGH ranking pilots and probably retirees on that base who probably want to keep up their flight hours on their off time, and possibly get their families into it.

AMC "Air Money Command", the only Military Command that turns a profit! :)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: