Cabin noise..think it may be my tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
I put on new AT Revo's last may...and I never got an alignmnent. I feel like the inside cabin noise I hear is my tires..not sure though..I replaced my tie rod ends and ball joints a while back...I know its hard to diagnose this without hearing the noise but any suggestion besides turning up the radio would be sweet.. lol

if the tires have an aggressive tread pattern, then could be the source. Is there any unusual or uneven wear (cupping) on the tires to indicate you need an alignment done?? If there is unusual wear, etc., that could be the source. have you ever checked your bearings??

Tires with an aggressive tread pattern tend to make more road noise than tires with a smaller, less aggressive tread pattern.

Tires noise is typically a whining or howling sound that increases in volume the faster you go. You will also hear the sound change on different textured pavement. Listen carefully when you see the road changing from old pavement to new pavement or changes from concrete to asphalt, etc since that is when the sound will change.

On my Mercedes, it rides very quiet with no tire noise except for one stretch of I-35 where there is a high pitched whine that is very irritating. I can't blame the tires because on all the roads I drove from Texas to Ohio, they were quiet except for that one section of I-35, and I know now that it is something in the surface texture that is causing it ??

...Rich

The REVO's I had on my Trac cupped so badly that I had to replace them before they were worn out. If the noise you are hearing is sort of a whup...whup...whup... it's probably the tires. Does the noise increase in frequency as you speed up?

Todd C thats the exact noise I hear. And yes the noise does increase as i speed up... Hopefully the aligment will correct it.

joycie - Once your tires are cupped, they're pretty much toast. Try rotating the tires and see if it helps, although my REVO's cupped even with regular rotations. That's why I'm running Michelin LTX M/S tires now.

Latest posts