C-130 Herc

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shown before but worth a watch for aircraft buffs. It is very interesting to hear the plane's bells, whistles and warnings as these gentlemen put this plane through the paces.

For best effect watch in full screen. Very cool split screen at the end.

Gerry Mac

My dad spent a large portion of his career working with that plane at Lockheed before moving to the F22 program. It's an amazing plane for sure. Thanks for posting.

I flew on a few C130's in Vietnam and they are a very rugged, dependable aircraft. But even better is the AC130 Gunship. It's the upgrade to the old AC47 "Puff the Magic Dragon" of the Vietnam era....a modified C47 (DC6) with twin GE Electric gattling guns.

The original Lockheed C130 has been modified by Boeing into the AC130 with two 20mm gattling guns, a 40mm rotary cannon, and the big gun is a 105mm Howitzer cannon all mounted on an aerial platform. YouTube has plenty of videos of the AC130 in action over Afghanistan...here is a link to an example.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerry, thanks for posting.

I flew many a mission 2yrs in 'Nam on those c-130's.

They alway amazed me the manuverabilty. We would come in at some of the awkwardness angles. Comming in over the mountains. To avoid the VC firing 144mm rockets and rpg's straight up and at the landing strip.

Some of our strips were jungle clearances. Drop in and put on the brakes and reverse props, WOW! The unit I was assigned to. We had a few jungle strips that didnt' exist,,LOL.

The first of the clip. Reminded me how we would take off almost verticle and climb, climb, climb. Even loaded. I think we did take of verticle once, up at Camp Evans on the dmz. Dang chinook flew in front of our flight plan.

I got to know most of the flight crews out of Ton Son Nught. So wether I was by my self or with a team. They would let me ride in the cockpit on the bench, with the loadmaster.

I really looked forward to being shiped out and flying. I even used my blanket travel orders once to go see. A High school freind @ Phan Rang. Freaked my buddy out. When me an Army guy walked in, wearing field gear, and Carring my 45, m16 and a m79.

My comanding officer didnt care as long as we got back a couple of days after a mission. Sometime we got stuck until another flight out.

[Broken External Image]:

Richard,

Many didnt' know it but "Puff" was ours. Macv Sog. It and the other planes that were painted black, and a few others. Were staioned out of CCK Bankok. They would go back there to get major service.

We could put our name on a list. If one of the C130's @ our clearance level came up for service. If it was your turn, and you werent on a mission. We got a free R&R in bankok. For the duration of service, 4 to 5 days.

Just another perk why I stayed 2 tours...LOL

You might say I enjoyed my unit assignment.

i have seen a few of those flying over my house massive and impressive, u know they around.

the airport over here in new iberia has seen many large military planes being it was a navy base in the begining

Latest posts