Buying strategy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
How much does the fact that it is the last week or last few days of the month play into what the dealers are willing to do to the price of a car (at least in the fleet/internet sales group)? I have shopped quite a bit all month, and am certain of what I want (F250 deisel), now I want to approach the dealers for quotes through fleet / internet. I can always wait until wednesday or thrusday next week to do this. Do they typically have the same units/numbers scheme that regular sales have? Has anyone seen the price drop that last day or two of the month?

I have heard that it may be possible to get a better deal than fleet/internet through a walk in sale, and I don't mind negotiating / delaing with their game, but it would seem much easier to solicit quotes next thrusday/friday and ba a firm buyer with their backs to the end of the month.

Any experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you want advice on haggling?

1. Get pre-approved for new car financing through your local bank and/or eloans.com. You shouldn't be souly beholden to manufacturer financing this way.

2. Visit a dealer on the last day of the month to see if they have what you want on their lot, and if they do...

3. ...Go to www.edmunds.com and get the TMV (true market value) for the vehicle with the options of the vehicle you liked from the lot, then...

4. ...CALL the dealer (do not walk-in), ask to speak to a sales rep. First ask for a list of all incentives, rebates and finance options for the vehicle, then...

5. ...Negotiate the price over the phone, starting well under the Edmunds TMV less all applicable incentives (if not already included). If it pays to finance with the mfgr, then go ahead. If it makes more sense to take additional incentives and finance through someone else, then go ahead. It all comes down to total cost, either way.

6. Once you have negotiated a deal on the purchase price (be willing to walk away...which is easy when on the phone), then negotiate a deal for your trade-in, if you have one. A good price can be found a www.kbb.com....try to get between the dealer trade-in price and the private sale price.

Good luck.

P.S. ...I thought you wanted "general info" because there was no body to the message originally. But to your specific question, yes, the end of the month, preferrably last sales day of the month is the ideal time to buy a vehicle, especially one that hasn't been on the lot long. The way I understand it is the dealer has to pay a charge for each car for each of the first few months on the lot (after so many months they are paid up). If you can sign the contract before the end of the month, that's more money in their pocket (they forego that next payment).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
The last day of the month is usually when you can deal. They have to pay the bank the following day on the cars sitting in the lot. Now, you can always get a deal on any car if you order it. The dealer doesn't have to pay for advertising on it as well as inventory. I bought the ST and an Escape at 100.00 below invoice plus all the incentives that were going on.

Not necessarily related to your question, but a good tip:

I had success bouncing one dealer off of another. Went to one dealer for my wife's equinox with all the options she wanted. Went to another dealer with the sale equinox on the lot. Called the 1st back and told them that the 2nd dealer was giving me 1000 more on trade in, which was true. The 1st dealer called me back later offering 500 in addition to what the 2nd would give. This went back and forth a few times until I finally settled with buying from the 2nd dealer. The original trade in valueon my wifes old VW went from $2500 up to $5200 and I managed to wrangle 3 free oil changes and car washes out of them. The bottom line is that it paid to bounce the offers off of the 2. (BTW, the Equinox is cool, but not nearly as cool as a Sport Trac.)

The Hawk

:cool:

Last day of the month is a good time if you can find a sucessful salesman who needs another sale or two to make him "Salesman of the month" or earn a bigger bonus for the month!

Also when shopping dealers, if they are close by, as in my case, I have test driven a vehicle from one dealer to another. It shows that you are in the market and automatically seems to put them in a better negotiating mood.