Buying shocks... What to get?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Maya

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a very proud owner of a 2002 ST, bought new over 11 years ago, that now has almost 200.000 miles, and running strong as new!, (do your maintenance!). I don't have a car payment for like 8 years! :banana:

Ok, my question is: i want to upgrade my suspension, but i don't want to do any modifications, i just want to know what are a good/best shocks out there?. I want the rear to be able to carry a good load of weight without dropping to the floor

Thanks in advance!

Monroe shocks are good shocks if your on a budget but rancheros seem to have the best ride. For the rear you could get monroe sensa-trac shocks which are load adjusting shocks so the rear wont drop to the floor. My 01 trac still has the factory shocks when it was bought new😁 kinda a rough ride over railroad tracks...

Hey guys!... Thanks for the fast response, love this site!.

Those rancho rs9000 xl, are sweet!, and the wireless controller is awesome!... I wonder how much the whole set up with the wireless controller will set you back...?... Anyone done this?

I also like this idea: "rs5000 on the front and monroe sensatrac on the rear" ... Anyone know where to get them at the best price?

If you are running factory shocks on any year of the Gen 1 Trac, even if you only have put ten miles on it- you are going to be in for a huge treat when you install any new shock besides Ford OEM. The OEM shocks were THAT BAD. Really, they were crap right off the assembly line.

Seriously- about any shock will be so much better than the originals, but you have gotten some very good recommendations here.

RockAuto.com for best prices. Search for a promo code and save another 5-10%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rancho no longer sells the 'MyRide' remote controller, but they can probably be found somewhere. Originally the remote was wired and then they went with wireless, so I don't think there was a problem with either type controller, but, from what I have found, I suspect it was leaks (reports of compressor running continuously). They could be had for from between 150.00 and $250.00, and sometimes free with the purchase of four shocks.

This noted, it takes about five minutes to manually adjust all four (you'll have to get on the ground to reach the rears, but not the fronts).

I have had the RS9000XL for about 50,000 miles and they are great for me and my driving style. (I have them set on 6 at front and 3 at rear and rarely change them.)

I have seen them on Amazon for around $88.00. Rancho has an annual "Shocktober" four for the price of three event (if you want to wait).

Wow, i can't believe how fast you guys respond... This is awesome!

I currenlty have the KYB front and rear, but i'm not to happy with them, they are to soft in the front. The back seems to be alright, but really not happy with them. Maybe didn't choose the right ones, they were cheap out of ebay

"Yardsale", do you know the exact part number for both shocks when you search on amazon?. I might get the same set up you have

Again, thanks to everyone

Very seriously considering upgrading my soft front SensaTrac's to the Rancho RSXL9000. Have only read positive reviews and ride adjustability seems awesome. Use Rancho's link.

RWD and 4WD are the same (RS999229 front and RS999185 rear). Amazon search:

rancho rs9000xl RS999[229 or 185]

sws - I had the MonoMax front and rear for a while. The rear was about right (for me), but the front was way too soft (a lot of porpoising).

There is a significant difference between settings (1-9).

This place has the best price so far $327.96 all four, free shipping. After you place the order online they call you to verify your vehicle

I been just searching since yesterday and i want to wait and see if there is any good promotions coming up but looks like they don't go any lower, and waiting for october is too much

Thanks

Nice setup! Let us know if you go with the RS9000 in all four corners. A follow up test review would also be nice. :supercool:

RockAuto discount code

Using Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Code must be entered before order is submitted to receive discount.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on February 23, 2014; so don't wait!

I like to shop at advance auto online because of their promo codes.

I was looking at the RS5000'S and the sensatrac's for the rear. I wasn't sure if they were any good, so it was nice to see a few people recommend them.

What I do to get the best deal is to break the order up into a couple different ones so that I can use multiple coupon codes.

For example:

The load adjusting sensatracs go for $104, so I use the coupon code TRT41 and I get $40 off. So the pair are only $64 + tax and I pick them up at my local AA.

Same thing for the 2 RS5000's. $119 for the pair, TRT41 to get them for $79 and grab them at the store too.

That makes the 4 for $143 + tax.

So for the record, I ordered my shocks today and the total was $64.99 and $$84.99 with tax. So I got all 4 for about $150. I'll pick them up at my local AAP tomorrow.

Much cheaper/faster than the $180+ delivery from Rock.

just my experience. your milage may vary

Latest posts