Buying a trailer for my ATV today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should already have a 4 pin connector on your truck, you'll need a receiver (I'd get the three ball) just because it's stronger/ sticks out further (easier backing and turning) you're set for towing most trailers because you alreday have the three main ball sizes, preferably a locking pin for the receiver (so it doesn't go missing), that's about it as far as the hitch accessories goes.

:driving::banana:

Probably stating the obvious, but you didn't mention having/buying a ball and ball mount. You'll probably also want a lock for the ball mount and one for the trailer.

That's a sweet pattern you've got. Wish I could afford an ATV right now. My future father-in-law has a Ranger he lets me use whenever I want, though, so I'll just stick with that for now.

Have you tried loading it into the bed of your ST? I have read that its been done, but never seen pictures so I'm just not convinced it's possible.

Hugh,

I already own an atv..and as for the trailer, I found this guys selling one near my house for $300..it's kind of hard to pass up when they go for $600 brand new. I used to load it in the back of the ST, but when I go to my place in Maine, it hard to bring any other gear cause the bed has my ATV in it.

My 1st ST, a 2001 with my friends Honda Rubicon (500cc) also about 500 lbs.

[Broken External Image]:

My 2nd ST, a 2007 with my Honda Rancher (400cc) and about 430 lbs.

[Broken External Image]:

Nice trailer JustJimmy but it looks like you really need to beef up your rear suspension some.

No problem with that.

I have a 10,000lb Weight Distribution System on the truck/trainer. Without it, I agree, I'd be in BIG TROUBLE. I over sized it on purpose.

With the system, it tows awesome, no sag, no sway.

I bought my Class IV with three ball receiver, locking receiver pin, installed for I think like $190-210 ?, it was around $200 from Uhaul.

Any preference on the Brand of receiver? I saw some ones that are hidden and one that are not..Does anyone have a preference.

I got the hidden hitch from uhaul as well.. it's pretty well built and looks a hell of a lot better than a huge "block" of metal below the bumper IMO.

Jerry - it's a pop-up camper made by Fleetwood (now Coleman). The model is the Evolution E3.

I've had it for several since 06 and paid 14k. Probably 16 - 18k now.

Check out my picts for more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts